Impalas.net banner

Fuel Filter

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  whons 
#1 ·
I'm going to install an Edelbrock carb on my 67 Impala 350 engine. I will be putting an inline fuel filter right before the carb. I have a fuel filter right before the fuel pump, that was on there when I got the car, and there was no filter in the original carb. My question is should I use both filters before and after the mechanical fuel pump, or would the carb be starved of gas. Also the fuel filter that came with the new carb is plastic (see through). Will that be ok up near the carb on the intake manifold with the heat of the engine?

#2 ·
The plastic filter canister should be fine on top of the manifold by the carb or on the front of the engine like GM did it with a filter between the pump and the carb. It has to remain away from the exhaust manifold (tube headers) which is fairly obvious, but I mention it in the interests of safety.

Before the fuel pump you use a 100 micron filter (perforated metal screen) to get out rust flakes or other debris. Between the fuel pump and the carb you use a 10 micron filter of spun stainless steel wool or fiberglass as alcohol in the gas will destroy a paper filter (alcohol pulls water out of the air, and water and paper makes paper fibers).

Big Dave

#3 ·
fuel filter

Big Dave, the filter that is right before the fuel pump is glass with a fine mesh metal screen. So I will keep that there and put the new plastic with paper filter that came with the new carb right before the carb. I only use non ethanol 91 oct. gas from KwikFill. Many Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.