Engine General Engine Discussion.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Russell1964
  • 1 Post By 62BillT
  • 1 Post By Big Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

396 engine swap into '64

I'm about to get my 396 back from the machine shop. It's going into a 64 after I pull the 283. I have looked through several pages but still can't find what I'm looking for.
For those who have done this, what oil pan did you use? I have been told a 427 pan will work ( someone said it on here as well ) but from what application?
Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell1964 View Post
I'm about to get my 396 back from the machine shop. It's going into a 64 after I pull the 283. I have looked through several pages but still can't find what I'm looking for.
For those who have done this, what oil pan did you use? I have been told a 427 pan will work ( someone said it on here as well ) but from what application?
Any help would be appreciated.
Any 1965-'74 car oil pan (excludes Corvettes which are not considered to be a passenger car) for a BBC will work. What won't work is a 348 or 409 oil pan, a Mark IV truck pan of any kind (either light truck or medium truck-bus), or a Gen V, Gen VI, Gen VII one piece rear main seal oil pan (1991-'06).

Personally I use a Moroso or a Milodon aftermarket seven to eight quart oil pan at the stock depth (requires kick outs like in NASCAR). They will handle a longer than stock stroke easily.

Speaking of stroke: why in the world would you build a 396. It costs the same as building a 496, and you would never guess which one makes nearly half again the power. You would be miles ahead and save half your money and get about 35% more power out of a 406 SBC than a 396 and the 406 can be made to look just like your original 327, if you like originality.

In my opinion a 396 is worth $31.50 dollars for the cast iron at the salvage yard. You can not tell a 396 from a 496 as they are the same in every way externally. A 540 cube is as small a BBC that I will build due to today's gas.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

First, thanks for clearing up the oil pan confusion. Good to know.
Second, I'm building the 396 because it is damn near free....so being ahead of the money issue is no concern. I have also had this engine since I was a teenager....sentimental reasons, I guess. And.....I don't need the biggest, nastiest, big *** c.i. block out there. I'm cool with having fun with what I have.
Thanks for the pan issue though!!!
62BillT likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:10 PM

I dropped a '67 396 into my '62 Impala back in the '70's. I also used a 427 Oil Pan bought new from Chevrolet at the time. The engine also replaced a 283. Could not believe how easy the swap went. Almost like it was made for it. Only problem was the Exhaust and I used Hooker Headers with custom bent pipes.
Russell1964 likes this.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

62BillT...Thanks. Yet another reference to the 427 pan. Odd. lol.
I have a set of block hugger headers and will have a local shop finish up the exhaust for me. Not really my forte.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:35 PM

Here are the differences in BBC oil pans:

This photo shows the difference in depth between a car pan and a light to medium durt truck pan.

The tall pan on the left is a truck oil pan that holds five to eight quarts of oil, depending upon the sump.

Here is an eight quart oil pan found on tall deck BBC engines used in medium duty trucks and school buses.

Here is a five quart oil pan for a 1965-'74 Corvette.

Here is a four quart Camaro, Nova, and Chevelle BBC oil pan from 1965-'72. This pan will fit your car and is the best one to buy.

Finally here is the four quart oil pan used in 1965-'67 Corvettes and 1965-74 full size Chevy cars. This series of car bodies used a BBC stock (396 through a 454) and as asuch any big block will fit with a car pan.

Notice this pan has an extra step that the Camaro Chevelle pan doesn't have.

Finally here is a seven quart Moroso Oil Pan with kick outs and notches to clear a 4.5 inch stroke:

and a similar pan from Milodon;

Big Dave
Russell1964 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page