Impalas.net banner

Leaking transmission lines

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jasongkelly 
#1 ·
I have a 1965 impala SBC 283 with powerglide transmission. I have new radiator and transmission lines. When the engine is running fluid is leaking where the lines meet the radiator. I have torqued down the lines tight, but I am afraid to overtighten them. Is there something that I am missing?

#2 ·
Jason, sometimes the line can crack at the base of the flare on the line. If you loosen the line(fluid will come out so put something underneath to catch it) pull back the flare nut and pull out the line from the inverted flare in the radiator. Inspect the line at flare itself. It maybe cracked running circularly around the flare. Also inspect the inverted flare in the radiator for a crack. You may have to do this with a mirror.

#3 ·
just wanted to close out this thread. I fixed the issue the problem was that the radiator didn't have the proper fitting in it to receive the inverted flare connection. Went to local parts store and bought two adapters for 1/4" x 5/16" to resolve the problem. Thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.