Impalas.net banner

Removing rear shock absorber lower anchor pin

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  john king 
#1 ·
Hi all,

One of my projects over the next few weeks is to remove the lower control arms and the one upper control arm that are attached to my rear axle. The bushings are bad and there is some rust on the pieces so I am going to rust bathe them, paint them and press new bushings in. Part of this project is to remove the lower anchor pins as well. On page 8 of the service manual, it is recommended to use tool J-7063 to remove the lower anchor pins. I tried doing a search for that tool but came up empty.

Can anyone describe to me what that tool is?

Is there another method for removing that pin without a specialized tool?

Thanks for you help.

#2 ·
If you have the Chassis Service Manual it shows a picture of all of GM's specialty tools. You can then go to your corner auto parts store to see if they rent something similar.

I have found an acetylene torch and a big hammer works for most chassis repairs as adding heat loosens most parts, and the Ford tool works wonders ; as well as relieving stress.

Big Dave

#7 ·
After I took off the rear lower controls arms, I marked them with chalk as to which side they came off of. I took them to a service station to have the bushings pressed out and when they were done, the chalk was rubbed off - I know it was stupid, I should have marked them some other way.

When I look at both pieces they seem identical. Does anyone know for sure if both arms are identical and thus it does not matter which side they go on when I reassemble everything?

Thanks.

#8 ·
was just reading the shop manual and they are different lengths specific to the side of the vehicle for the anchor pins, note: two different shock absorber lower anchor pins are used. they are of different lengths and have seperate locating flats. I stumbled across this hoping to find a good tool to put it in cause i had same question as original poster, figured most of the replies were the way to go of just wacking it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.