My blankety blank gauge doesn't work! - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down My blankety blank gauge doesn't work!

All electrical gauges in your car (Gas Level, Amperage, Oil Pressure, Water Temperature) are just volt meters. The power comes out of the fuse box to the gauge where it goes to the "sender" that is actually a receiver. The voltage goes through the "sending" unit to ground and the amount of voltage drop is what is displayed by the gauge.

The gauges work on a nominal 12 volt system so any resistance in the circuit will affect the reading on the gauge. In the case of a gas gauge it should read from 0 to 90 OHM resistance from the line going into the sender to where it comes out again (the ground wire). If that works you know you have a good sender.

If the gauge moves from when disconnected (isolated by near infinite resistance to a 12 volt system by a foot or so of air gap), and then moves when grounded you know the gauge works.

If you can read voltage in the feed wire to the guage and it reads the same at the back where it enters the sending unit then your wiring is ok; and the only thing left is a bad ground.

Somewhere in your car a bit of rust has built up under some part that is supposed to be part of the grounding circuit. This works for aftermarket gauges (which there are only gas gauges used in most brands of cars; either a 30 Ohm resistor used in older cars, and the 90 Ohm resistor used for cars made after .... I can not remember when.) But according to the Oracle of Google it was 1965 that GM switched over.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:44 AM

1966 Fuel gauge and sending unit

I was having similar issues but with my factory parts. I created two videos that I though might help others:

Paul Winvoices

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1982* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page