Windshield Wiper Switch replacement. - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Windshield Wiper Switch replacement.

For you guys that have replaced your windshield wiper switch, can you tell me where you purchased yours from and what part number it was. AutoZone shows the part number to be 80173 but this number comes with a more modern knob on it. It may come off to allow the installation of the period correct knobs from our cars but I wanted to make sure. My switch has the little push button in the middle of the knob for what I assume is the washer fluid. Would this part work as needed? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:31 AM

Auto Zone will sell you a part that works, but it is not a restoration part. It was General Motor's Corporate policy (set in place in October of 1957) that where ever possible there should be as few parts as possible with the same part repurposes year after year across every GM product. Because of this a newer part will fit and function just like the original as much as possible (knobs are a trim piece that changed year to year but last years knob for a Chevy might appear this year on a Pontiac and next year on an Olds to get as much use out of a part as possible).

So yes that Auto Zone wiper switch will screw into the hole in the dash and the wiring will plug in and work but without the original knob and trim ring (outside nut) it will look out of place. The center push button to activate the washer will work assuming you have a washer built into your wiper motor (but since you don't have an activation button you may not have that option installed on your car).

The reason cars became more expensive year after year is because GM discovered that they could bundle more and more optional features onto the base vehicle and people continued to buy them. That made more profit for GM so the process continues.

A manual transmission is called a standard transmissions because all automatic transmissions where optional, installed only on higher priced vehicles whose price increased as more options became standard. It wasn't until 1972 that an automatic became standard and a manual transmissions became optional. The four speed was always an option with the three speed being standard equipment.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the info. My car does have the push button for the washer and the outside trim ring so I should be able to swap the knob the new part comes with for the original knob already on my car correct?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to update this thread. I ended up ordering the wiper switch from Ecklers I believe and got it installed. Works great now. I didn't have the retaining but took the manual called for so I had to use needle nose pliers which got the job done. Now I need to track down the wiper fluid lines and container. Thanks for the help.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:31 PM

Wiper fluid hoses are the same ones used today on modern Chevy Silverados, so any parts store will have it in stock. I would buy a twenty five foot reel if they will sell it at a discount as they usually charge more by the foot. Up until 1966 I believe the washer bottle was a triangular glass bottle (sold as a reproduction part). After that it was a blown permanent molded plastic part.

Big Dave
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Seems simple enough. It's on my growing list of things to do now. Lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page