68 impala sbc to bbc stroker gen 6 - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

68 impala sbc to bbc stroker gen 6

Has anyone done this swap? Any clearance issues with aftermarket oil pans? specially the rear of the cross member. Milodon and Moroso have oil pans for the Gen 6 bbc but they don't know the pans will clear the cross member.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:39 PM

The oil pan will clear in a 1965-90 chassis. The BBC was an option up until 1974. The 7 quart pan with kick outs is the same depth as the stock pan.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave, Do I keep the same crossmember engine mounts/stools? Were they different on the factory Impalas with the BBC option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:17 AM

No they used the same everything (except get rid of the glued together motor mounts in favor of mechanically inter locking). A big block will rip a vulcanized rubber motor mount in two faster than a strong man at the circus can rip a phone book in half.

The only thing that differs between a stroked BBC and a stock 427 or 454 is the oil pan needs to be made to clear the counter weights. a Gen VI can accept up to a 4.500 inch crank stroke. Anything longer and you need an aftermarket block and a special pan the bolts in from the inside and has a bottom cover to attach the sump to the rest of the pan, or go to a dry sump which is what most do with a 600 plus cube big block.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Big Dave need advice again. Found some frame mounts of a 71 Imp bbc 402 online, haven't got them yet. I read in here that the later bbc frame mounts were beefier.
Are they the same mounts on a 68 bbc? I have a original sbc 307 fastback and also read those mounts are different from the other sbc Impalas.
Just trying to get the best fitment/strength for the 489 swap... ck the pics. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 12:34 PM

I am not familiar with any difference in the motor mount design. The Nova and Camaro have different motor mounts that moves a BBC to the passenger side to allow for more room to install the big engine in a small car. But the Chevelle and the full size use the same mounts for the SBC and he BBC engines as the motor stays centered. This difference in the Camaro motor mounts fuels a lot of the talk on the internet about there being a difference in the motor mounts.

A BBC will not break a SBC motor mount, so it isn't about strength but it's dimensions that you have to worry about. Newer cars have a lower hood and swept back windshields to reduce air resistance in an attempt to gain mileage to meet federally mandated CAFE numbers. The newer mounts are not different in strength from an older one; but probably lower the motor more, which may interfere with the damper contacting the front sway bar.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page