Th350 issue - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Th350 issue

I have an issue with my th350, I am guessing it is the linkage. The car will start but when I move the shifter, it doesn't change gears. It sounds like it is still idling and the shifter feels normal. Is there any other possibilities and does anyone have a diagram so I know where to look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:34 PM

Update. We got under it tonight. The linkage is fine. Looks like the tranny fluid leak got worse. It is reading at the "add" line right now. If it os low, would that cause the th350 to stay in park?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:37 PM

It would cause the tranny to burn up. Low fluid level means the pump can not pick up oil so you are not pumping hydraulic oil that lubricates and forces the clutches together hard enough to move the car. Without out it the friction material (basically paper) burns up.

Fill it with fluid and see what happens.

Big Dave

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:01 PM

Thanks. We will do that tomorrow. And we will update once we do
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:34 PM

Well. I added fluid and no luck. Still not getting out of park no matter what I do with the shifter. Not looking good. Sounds like the tranny is coming apart.

For the more immediate need, let me ask this.

With the tranny locked it park and the rear wheels not moving, how can I get it home? It is only 1/2 mile away. Do you think using those wheel dollies would work? How would a tow truck get it home? Is it possible to get it out of park?

Should I lift the rear and remove the driveshaft to drag it home?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:10 PM

The tranny is probably moving out of park if the linkage on the out side of the case is moving. It isn't providing any motive force to the rear wheels because the friction material that coats the clutches and bands has been destroyed and as such it isn't offering enough friction with steel contacting steel to cause the car to move. To test this theory put it in neutral and see if you can push the car with the engine off. If it moves the pin has been pulled away from the parking pawl that locks the drive shaft.

As far as towing it a wrecker has a set of wheel dollies that go under the end that is not being picked up if it is an old style dragging wagon (Holmes Wrecker with a hook). Most wreckers today utilize a roll back that drags the car onto the back of a flat bed whether it has wheels that turn or if it is in park.

Big Dave
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:43 PM

When in neutral, we pushed and it would not budge.

And I removed the driveshaft from the diff and tied it up out of the way and dragged it home with the Jeep Scrambler. So it is now dead in the driveway. It is spending more time down than being drivable. Sigh
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Would we have to change anything if we wanted to put in a th400?

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 05:22 PM

I sent you an article to your email
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 06:18 PM

In a 1967 the TH400 was the only three speed automatic available at the time (the TH350 wasn't introduced until 1969). If you have the corect cross-member mounting points you need to just bolt it in and shorten your drive shaft about two inches.

In 1967 your car, if it had an automatic, it would have used a PowerGlide two speed (which is basically a broken TH350 and I say that because the low range in a PG is the same ratio as second gear in a TH350). So your not being able to get out of park could be from some one not using the correct linkage to reach first gear, and the rest of your problem just being out of adjustment.

Not having fluid in an automatic or a manual tranny and attempting to drive it will destroy either type of transmission though.

Big Dave
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 07:03 PM

It was only about 1/2 quart low. Not sure if that was enough to make a difference or not. And this has three gears, so maybe it is a th350 from a later year vehicle. But it definitely shifts into a third gear when driving it.

Still researching what we want to do. I can go under it and take a video of the linkage, but not sure if that will tell anything or not.

And it used to hit all of the gears, not sure why it would just stop and stay in park if it was the linkage.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 07:31 PM

The linkage goes into the case and there is a selector comb inside attached to the comb is a spool valve that controls the gears by allowing hydraulic pressure to move through different channels in the valve body. If the clip that attaches the spool valve to the comb became disconnected, or the comb became disconnected from the exterior shifter linkage.

There are a lot of parts inside an automatic, and any one of them breaking can put yopur tranny out of commission.

Big Dave
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 07:36 PM

You are a wealth of knowledge Dave. Hope it's something simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gr8dain likes this.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:21 PM

Thanks. Me too.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Update- we looked under it and it is a TH400

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:39 PM

Here is the pan
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:35 PM

So, did some digging into the tranny today by dropping the pan.

So I took a video just a few minutes ago. In the second video, is the little hammer thing that gets pushed out of the way by the rod the part that locks it into park? I assume so. I touched it and it released. That was before the video. I was able to turn the driveshaft (still not connected to the differential). So that tells me that it is no longer in park. And it moves when the rod goes in and out. So that is good. In the third video, I try to show how much play it has in it front to back. Not side to side like it is supposed to move. Is it supposed to have that much play, or is this a problem?

Ok. Videos on my facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/DainWilson/...09910169603272
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:22 PM

Let me know if you can't see the videos. I can't upload them here via tapatalk.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8dain View Post
Let me know if you can't see the videos. I can't upload them here via tapatalk.

I am getting an error like it is unavailable.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:36 AM

Th350 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowesp View Post
I am getting an error like it is unavailable.

Ok. I will try to fix that. I am not good at posting videos.

Try now please. I think i made them a available to the public
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:46 AM

Now it works.

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowesp View Post
Now it works.

Thanks. Any ideas?
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:09 AM

To post photographs or even movies read this post from another mod over on Team Nova:

posting photos using Photobucket - Nova Tech

This site used to be owned and operated by a retired engineer and his wife before being sold to the current owners. Because all of the Team boards ran on one server served by a single T1 phone line that cost him $1,200 a month to rent space was limited. As such members were restricted on the amount of disk space they could use to store photos. Because movies didn't exist back then in a time of black and white Kodak cameras (in a pre i-Phone age) they made no provision for movies (long before dot MP3 was created in computer lexicon). You are also limited on any one photograph's size (not area but the number of pixels it occupied on the disc) so I doubt even a couple of seconds of 8 mm film would be allowed.

If you store your pictures, movies, and anything else not yet invented, off site and link to it with a line of HTML text you can post anything you want and there is no restriction on size (the only thing this server ever sees is a line of text).

I bought my first smart phone two weeks ago and I am still trying to figure out how to use it (I can call someone, but I can not figure out how to answer an incoming call). I do not and never will follow anyone on Twitter, or Like anyone on whatever the other social media network is called as I regret being forced to give up my copper wire home phone that I have had for the last 47 years. The phone company pulled down the lines and said I have to connect to a fiber-optic line or buy a cell phone.

Big Dave
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:28 AM

Thanks Dave. I have a photobucket account and can save the video there. Just need to get rid of stuff on that site first as I have hit my storage limit with them.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:14 PM

Well, I got the parking pawl to move in and out and then put the pan back on and refilled it with fluid. Got it off the ramps and started it up. I now have park and neutral. No moving gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page