Disassembling 64 Impala - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Question Disassembling 64 Impala

I am down to the Windows & door trim removal on my Impala interior. I know alignment can be a big issue with some parts. How important are the windows alignment and what do you guys recommend to mark the parts for reassembly? Any other parts that need to be marked before disassembling them inside or out. Just learning as I go. First restore. Any help on removing the door trim on top of the door would be appreciated. I think the windows have to be removed in order to reach the screws that hold the door trim on. I can't get the windows to roll down any further. It is a 2 door hard top BTW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 04:29 PM

Welcome to the Team!

Your camera and a grease pencil will do wonders for marking things so that they align up again.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 09:31 PM

Garage
There is a bolted on stop at the bottom of the door. You can reach it after removing the door panel. After removing the stop the window will roll down far enough.

63 Impala SS Convertible
66 Impala SS
68 Camaro RS/SS
73 Camaro Z28

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

OK, I will certainly look for it. This is all new to me. So any details you can lend as far as how to remove the stop or the area I can find it would be helpful. Thanks for the direction.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

But when you don't know what area to shoot or what is aligned it isn't very helpful. If I know what bolts & areas to photo or mark this is more valuable info. I know a lot of bolts are fixed, so they won't be an issue. After I removed the wrong bolts, I can't mark them later. Just trying to have some forethought.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 08:54 PM

If you don't know how it goes together or the adjustment then I strongly recommend buying three books. First is the Fisher Body Repair manual, a book that gave body shop techs the info as to parts numbers and adjustment procedures to repair wrecked cars back when they were new and since they were new no one knew how to do it without a reference manual.

Second most important book is the Assembly manual. It told the workers on the line how to build a car out of a train load of parts. Once again it lists all of the part numbers (now all obsolete, but useful as a reference to identify a part) the torque value of any bolts, and listed any other glue or chemical needed to put that sub assembly in the car.

Finally of interest to the line tech that fixed the cars under warranty would be the Service Repair manual or the Chassis Service Repair manual. If you are not a mechanic the words Remove and Replace (R&R) probably are not going to be of much help, But this book lists the procedures to fix most wearing parts on the car and to overhaul the Tranny, motor, or rear end as needed. Probably a better reference if you have limited mechanical experience is a Chiltons Repair manual or a Motor's repair manual from 1966 through about 1968. These manuals were well illustrated and walked you through the R&R procedure a step at a time. What they do not have is the torque values (listed in the Service manual or the Assembly manual).

All of these paper books are available from time to time on line as former mechanics die off and the estate sale puts them back into circulation. You can find a lot of the GM manuals scanned on a flat bed scanner and burned onto a CD. They are not as easy to read as the originals and it requires you to print the pages to be able to use them in your garage. But if a hard bound book is unavailable it is often your only other choice.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
64 impala, disassembly, window

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page