Impalas.net banner

Introduction

869 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  kenkent 
#1 ·
My name is Ken Kent I use (new in 62) I bought my 2nd Impala about a year ago,my first one was 62SS rag had typical hi perf.add ons.Any way I felt I could remember how things were in the SS and apply to the current car,not so.The current car was a bench seat 2 dr. hrdtp.The car came with a TBI 350 as I started work on it found out the heads were junk replaced the heads & was later informed tbi heads were not Vortec heads so I replaced them with 062 heads still on the shelf .To shorten up my profile I got had by a few different people who I thought were qualified and weren't.One guy ruined an exhaust kit and a Kwik Wire 14 circuit kit.I've since pulled out the wiring and am going to replace it with some harnesses I got from classic industries.I had a 2 1/2 stainless ex.system installed I didn't mention I am from Alberta Canada.I'll be 73 yrs old in Aug.To the point I'm going to try & get this done on my own.I have a lot of parts I purchased in the U.S. the exchange on the $ hurts.I will be asking a lot of questions & the first one is on bucket seats I have new brackets & tracks.When Iput the seats in place the back of the seats are 3" lower than the top of the doors if i put an 1 1/2 " spacer under the outside bracket it brngs the back of the seat where I think it should be I don't really want to shim up the bottom if there is another solution.If I add a spacer the steering wheel is an issue. Any input would be greatly app. thanx in advance...........new in 62

#2 ·
Welcome to the Team Kent!

SS cars had bucket seats. That and some chrome trim was about what set the SS model apart from the others (In 1962 a SS was a separate model with it's own model number of 1847 stamped on the cowl tag).

If you have a bucket seat out of a 1958-64 Chevy it should fit the floor pan without shims or special brackets. Like your 350 SBC V8 that bucket seat may be out of a newer car and as such the brackets the form the track mechanism may not fit at all. If so you may have to fabricate a set of stands to bolt the seat to that hold it at the correct height in the correct location. These stands may require you to cut out holes in the floor to mount the existing seat brackets.

Big Dave

#3 ·
Thanx for the quick response Ihave 1847 on the cowl tag.The seats fold over on an angle according to some of the research I've done thats what came with 61-64 cars .I have seen picture of cars that have the seats reclined like mine & also some which are in the correct position where I think they should be .When I first got the car the seats were bolted to the floor in the oem holes with the nuts welded underneath there are only 2 holes per side therefore the need for the brackets to be welded in.Hopefully I will come across the solution sooner or later. KEN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.