Hello from DC - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Hello from DC

Hi, my name is Payton. I am 16 and my family bought me a 67 Impala ss 327 as my first car. It was running when we bought it, but bad alternator and now doesn't run. I got it because I love muscle cars and my dad can help me from his experience with a 69 GTO. My dad and I love working on it and just found this site and like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:43 PM

This is Payton's father. It should be a fun project. We plan to make it reliable and safe first. So besides the alternator, we need to figure out the lights that are out. And then we will do a disc brake conversion for the front.

If anyone have any ideas on what conversion to do, we are open to your thoughts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 11:20 PM

Welcome to the Team Payton and dad!

I would replace the factory alternator and mechanical point style voltage regulator with an internally regulated much more powerful modern one wire (CS) style from AC-Delco. It will provide the power to keep your lights bright and stereo booming.

Getting you car swapped over to disc brakes may be a great fashion statement but believe it or not the drum brakes work just as well. The factory went to front disc brakes because they were cheaper to install than drum brakes that have a lot of labor intensive parts to assemble. Better you should invest in new shoes and turn the drums (if they can be turned again other wised new drums), and spend the rest of the money you would save on ball joints, tie rod ends and chassis and body bushings.

Big Dave

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 05:25 AM

Payton you are pretty lucky to score a 67SS and have a father willing to help you out. Daves advise is good. I still have drum brakes on my 64SS but if you can find a 68 69 70 impala with disc brakes it is an easy swap.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 07:54 AM

Yea, thanks. I had all drums on my old 69 goat. And they were adequate. I just figured there is as a safety/performance increase going to discs.

As for the alternator, I was planning on getting a newer style one wire version. I have not even looked to see if this car has an external regulator yet. Would it be on the firewall like on my goat? Maybe the PO already swapped it out.

We plan to swap in HEI at some point as well. First thing is to do what is needed to pass the state safety inspection and get it on the road so that Payton can enjoy it.

Thanks for the welcomes

Dain
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 03:50 PM

Good luck with your car. I have a '63 Impala convertible and live in Falls Church, Va. You can't be too far away.

I also kept my drum brakes and I agree with everything Big Dave said about brakes. There are many systems on the car that likely need attention ahead of converting to discs. Unless you intend to race, there is no advantage to the discs over the drums.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 08:06 PM

Welcome....I'm fairly new too and this is a great site for information. Everyone is friendly and helpful. I agree with Big Dave as well, stay with your drums for now, you can always convert later if you really think you need to. The only thing you can't do with drums is to lower the car using lowering spindles. They don't make them for drum brakes. Disc's really only offer an advantage with lots of hard braking as they have less tendency to fade from heat. If your present brakes are manual you can easily upgrade to power brakes for less than a couple hundred bucks. Something you may want to consider. Also, I don't know if a '67 has a single master cylinder or if they had gone to dual by then but I'd quickly get rid of the single unit in favor of a split master cylinder. If one system fails you still have the other half (front or rear). This can be manual or power also. Good luck with your new toy.......I bought a '67 Impala coupe BRAND NEW in '67...a 283 3-speed in Royal Plumb, a color you almost never see.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Nice! I have power brakes on my Impala, but only single. I don't know if mine is powerglide or not, how do I tell? If it matters it has an L1 and L2 on the console

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I don't plan on ever selling it.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 06:33 PM

Got the front lights all working. Got to get the reverse lights working then the wiper motor and we will be off to see if it passes the state inspection.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 08:27 PM

Smile

Welcome Guys... Im in District Heights,MD. I have a 68 Impala Fastback. The voltage regulator should be on the core support behind the headlights on the driver side like my 68 being though they are the same body style. I recently pulled my 327 with the powerglide and put in a 383 Stroker 447hp/467ft lbs of tq with long tube headers and a 700R4 tranny. I converted to disc brakes at all 4 corners I used CPP. New front suspension with 2in drop springs new shocks and springs in the rear. I put the motor and tranny in with the help of a buddy. I still have to put the aluminum radiator with electric fans in before I can take it to the shop and get the drive shaft cut and everything wired up. Electric is out of my league.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 08:53 PM

Sounds nice wcoffey. We are on the home stretch with electronics. All lights work and we know we need to ground the horns. The issue now is the wipers and I think it is the switch and grounding. Fun stuff.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 06:20 AM

Hello from DC

Update (if anyone is interested). Wipers work. Had to rewire between the switch and the motor. Pump still inoperative.

Had to replace a gasket for the exhaust and tighten down a muffler clamp to pass inspection. Not bad.

Installed a new starter and got an alignment. Also had to replace both front wheel cylinders as they decided to start pouring brake fluid after a panic stop.

But now it drives like a completely different car. It is amazing what the new starter is like.

Oh, and Payton installed new eyebrow trim. Makes a big difference.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcoffey357 View Post
Welcome Guys... Im in District Heights,MD. ...

Electric is out of my league.
This is like my wife saying she can't do simple arithmetic in her head. I break down any problem that she can not figure out into two or three pieces and make her do it just to prove to her that she can; if she just tries.

DC circuits were taught in the fifth grade science class with a six volt lantern battery when I was a bit younger back in the forties. Today they teach you how to pass tests, because that is how teachers are paid (because it is the law of the land thanks to Laura Bush).

Are you telling me you aren't smarter than a fifth grader or you don't want to try?

DC circuits are easy. All you need is a pencil and a paper and you can draw the circuit out on a sheet of paper. It is just a big loop from battery to the device and back again. Wiring diagrams get messy because there are a lot of circuits on one piece of paper. Paper is cheap, if they printed each circuit on a separate page your kid could figure it out.

DC circuits are safe in automobiles because the current is limited by the low voltage. Your body has a natural resistance to voltage up to about 28 volts. Above that voltage level (found in aircraft) and it could be deadly. It is a DC circuit that they use to kill people in the electric chair (because the AC power company doesn't want to get involved in the process for political reasons). DC isn't any safer than AC just that it is usually only found today in battery powered devices with very low voltage (outside of New York City anyway).

You can (or used to) be able to go into a Radio Shack store and buy a DC circuit kit to give as a Christmas gift to bright kids who were college bound (at least according to their parents). It contained light bulb sockets, DC light bulbs, electro-magnets that you could turn into solenoids, door bell buzzers, even a crystal AM radio you could put together to discover how things work. The best part of the kit was it had an easy to understand instruction book that told you what each part was, how it worked, and offered suggestions on what it could be used for. You supplied the screw driver and the imagination.

As a retired engineer, who got his degree in mechanical engineering (and a business degree) before calculators were even invented, it drives me nuts to have people say I can't do it. My grandfather who lived through horse and buggy transportation to the space shuttle built bridges, dams and buildings that are still in use today. I have all three text books he used when he got his engineering degree in Scotland back in 1903 (my text books fill two large book cases). He had the excuse of many of the sciences being not as well under stood as they are now. But he didn't let it stop him from doing his job. He made his calculations and added fifty percent more for safety. That is how the DC-3 (C-47) airplane was designed, known as the worlds safest air plane up until the C-130 was built and proven.

Remember, there is no try (without first disconnecting the battery); Do or Do Not!

Big Dave
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 03:34 PM

Wow Dave. Fired up, huh?

I do agree though. I have a saying at my house that I relate to most chores or fixes. "If they (mechanics/contractors) can do it, so can I". I just need to learn how. And for me, the best way to learn is to try it.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 04:16 PM

Just a few thoughts you may find helpful:

In Va, a car registered as an antique does not have to pass either the safety or the emissions inspection. The owner is responsible for assuring the safety of the vehicle. I'm NOT suggesting driving an unsafe car. I am simply offering a legal alternative to the State sponsored inspections. The antique registration limits the car's use to pleasure driving and 3k (I think, it may be 2.5k) miles per year. I'm more critical and more meticulous than any of the 'inspectors' for hire at the local service stations and the use and miles limitations fit perfectly with my use of my '63.

'Stated value' classic car insurance (Hagerty is one offeror) can be a better alternative to 'regular' car insurance.

These are things you may all ready have decided are not what you desire. I'm presenting them to you just in case you are unfamiliar with them.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 04:42 PM

Thanks. But yes, I am well aware of them. I had a 69 GTO that I put antique plates on. I wanted regular plates for this car so that there were no restrictions. My son will be using it to go to school and work. While the total mileage may not hit the limit, the purpose goes against the law. And I just don't want to have to deal with the issues if pulled over. I also run regular plates on my 84 Jeep Scrambler that I use as a DD.

And I as well make sure my vehicles are safe regardless of what a state inspector says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page