62-64 409 - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Smile 62-64 409

I am a new member, so go easy on me.

I am doing my research on purchasing a 62-64 409 for pleasure and was wondering how the extra 400 pounds the 409 carries as opposed to the 327 affect the overall handling of the car. Seems like the 409 is going to be a little nose heavy. Any thoughts in this area. I am 70 years old, so my hot rodding days are over, however I just sold a Corvette Z06, so I still like the thrill of going fast.

Thanks, Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 02:47 PM

Welcome to the Team Gary!

The difference in weight between an all cast iron BBC and an all cast iron SBC is 232 pounds. The front springs are different between the BBC and the SBC, as are the shocks. A front sway bar was an option but not installed unless you ordered the F-40 heavy duty suspension package.

A 409 car motor is a rare find these days. Verify the application code on the front shelf to verify the motor belongs in a car and not a medium duty truck or bus. The truck block is stronger than the car block used to be but has a notch cut in the block to reduce compression (not a bad thing with today's poor gas quality). You can add higher compression pistons that are actually lighter than stock ones as there is less metal on the piston deck as you close the in piston combustion chamber. Makes for a good combination with a truck block.

There are five different "W" motor heads; two for the 348 and two for the 409 car and a 409 truck head. They are not exactly interchangeable but can be interchanged if you want. Of course the late Vic Edelbrock made a set of aluminum heads for the 348-409 motor that accepts a tri power (only available on the 348), or a dual four barrel intake (the 425 horse option) in addition to the single carb manifold all cast in aluminum which sheds about 187 pounds off the nose when you also use Vic's aluminum water pump.

Rod bolts are the Achilles heal of this motor and every 409 I grenaded in my youth lost the big end of the rod. Wish you luck in finding what you want. Personally I would look for the perfect body and let the power train sort itself out later.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6506gary View Post
I am a new member, so go easy on me.

I am doing my research on purchasing a 62-64 409 for pleasure and was wondering how the extra 400 pounds the 409 carries as opposed to the 327 affect the overall handling of the car. Seems like the 409 is going to be a little nose heavy. Any thoughts in this area. I am 70 years old, so my hot rodding days are over, however I just sold a Corvette Z06, so I still like the thrill of going fast.

Thanks, Gary
Gary,

If you are only interested in the 409, what I'm about to suggest is of no use to you. But, if you are looking for '409 performance', it is quite easy to mimic, or exceed, the torque and hp of the 409 with a 383 sbc. It's likely also less expensive and less risky.

When I was deciding on an engine for my 63 Impala convertible, my goal was to (in general) replicate the 409 performance. I chose 383 sbc that dyno'd at a max 445 lbs-ft torque at 3800 rpm, and had 400+ lbs ft at 2500 rpm (the lowest rpm noted). The hp max was 385 at 5400 rpm. Ideal for what I was seeking. And it's almost 300 hundred lbs lighter (including the aluminum heads) than the 409. Mated to my 4 speed Muncie, its a joy to drive.

Just trying to be helpful.

Pete

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Hey Pete,
Thanks for your reply. If I can't find an original car, your suggestion is well taken.
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page