Impalas.net banner

Questions on 68 Caprice interior

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  1968 Caprice 396 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a 1968 Caprice 4dr hardtop and need some interior components for it. After combing the internet this week I am finding parts for this car can be difficult to find. I'm not sure if some parts are unique to the Caprice or if they are just listed under the same part number as an Impala item. I spoke with a guy at Harmons and surprisingly he wasn't sure on some of my questions.

Questions:

1. Is the rear package tray different from a 2 dr to a 4 dr? I'm looking for the mesh type tray and insulation.
  2. Are the window felts for a 4 dr Caprice hardtop different from an Impala 4dr hardtop?
  3. Also, are the felts different from 67-68?
  4. Anybody know of a source for 1968 Caprice 4 dr seat covers?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

#2 ·
The package trays are different from 2 dr to 4 dr, the felts are the same from Caprice to Impala on 4 drs and the '67-'68 should be he same. The seats... well, no premade covers for Caprice. I bought bulk vinyl and had the buckets in my '68 Caprice done by disassembling the originals and having new ones made using the old as a pattern. Cost about $450 each plus the material, but they are perfect. The same would work if your seats are cloth, just harder to find the material. My vinyl back seat has a fleur de lis embroidered on it, no way to duplicate it that I know of.
What else ya need to know?

#3 ·
Cool thanks for all the info. :cool: Now I can get on to ordering the felts with the arm pads and weatherstripping. A bit of dry rotted rubber on this thing but everything is there. So much fun sourcing stuff for a new project. :beers:

I have a good seat guy that did my Camaro years ago so I need him to see the seats and give me an idea what I'm dealing with. I think I found somewhere online that offered the material so I'd have to see if the vinyl parts can be resewn to the material like you're suggesting. The cloth edges near the doors and the rear seat top have splits in places from years of UV exposure. :(

I wonder if you could modify a 2 door package tray to fit a 4 dr? At work I have access to a Faro Arm so worst case is I will pattern/plot the shape and try to duplicate something.

The drivers front door panel is warped from water damage- it's really a shame. I know enough to know these aren't in reproduction but I'm wondering how difficult it is to get new cardboard and attempt (cough) to redo the thing. ;) <?>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.