1966 SS Potential Steering Column Change - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1966 SS Potential Steering Column Change

I have done hours upon hours uponhours of searching & my brain hurts. Hopefully I can get some guidance. Thewheels/tires have been changed and the Wilwood power disc brakes have beenordered for the front. I decided to stay with the Cragar/BFGoodrich combo I hadbecause of the Old School looks. I just went with 15s & wider tires. Now Iam on phase II of my "tinkering" project. I am 6' 9" & 300#- the steering wheel is literally in my lap. I would like a little morecomfort. The mechanic I am using said when I convert to power steering that isthe time to upgrade steering columns if I want. It is a 4 speed Manual. Questions: Who has a tiltcolumn, who has a tilt/teli column? Will these give me an adequate amount ofadded room/value for the price I am liable to spend (and the originality I amgoing to lose)? What "extra" parts will I need? From my research, itlooks like I will need a special upper collar for either of those options.Since I have the SS gauge option on my car (w/ the lower padded dash) is thisgoing to further complicate things & narrow my choices? I am asking thisbecause one of the standard collars I saw on Ebay said something about the fitfor the gauge package being special because of the padded dash. I have also cometo understand I will need a special wiring harness to go from standard columnto tilt. Is this also the same for a tilt/teli? Is there anything else I willhave to look for? Will my current steering wheel fit on a tilt? From thepictures I’ve seen, I’m pretty sure a tilt/teli wheel is special, correct?Would it be in my best interest to buy a column from Ebay (or like source) andtake my chances on the quality, or to spend the extra money & get one fromone of these places that say they have taken them apart and rebuilt them? Whatabout the aftermarket columns (IDIDIT, Flaming River, etc.)? Are they any good?Do they look almost indistinguishable from stock (after painting, of course)? Do I still need to get the “extras” (collar,wire kit, etc)? Will my stock steering wheel fit on them? Does anyone reproducethe tilt/teli?
Yes, I know, this is a massiveamount of questions, but I figure there are people here immensely smarter in the“older car” field than I am, and I would like to get it right the 1sttime.
Thanks. Wayne.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:38 PM

I'm only 6'-6" but for more leg room and to get the steering wheel from leaving a greasy stain on my pants front I moved my bucket seat back making my own mounts. Not Concours correct but it solved the problem.

I got the idea from Ringling and Barnum and Bailey circuses' Giant who owned a 1962 Rambler that he drove into Brandon, FL from "The Giant's Camp" at the mouth of the Alifia river in Gibsonton (winter home of the circus). He had pulled out the front seat entirely and sat in the back seat bent over double to see out the windshield. I would bag his groceries for him before he died in his late twenties to early thirties of giantism. He would stick his hand out the door and I would place a "Paper Grocery bag" in the palm of his hand and it barely covered his palm. He continued to grow daily until he died and he made me look like a shrimp standing beside him. If you can find a paper grocery bag today, just wonder at the size of him. Most could wear his rings as a bracelets.

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Moving the seat back with new mounts is one idea I'm toying with. I'm sure it can be tastefully done by someone who know what they are doing. The steering column is another idea (or maybe do both?). Too bad those seats don't recline, that would help. I drove a 1984 Corolla & a 1986 5.0 GT, both w/ the seats reclined WAY back. Odd looking, but semi-comfortable.
I remember seeing Andre The Giant in the Winn Dixie by my house sometime in the '80s. He must have lived or been staying in the Brandon/Gibsonton area. He was BIG. I wonder what he drove.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:09 PM

Andre lived in France before he died young, but Terry Bollea (aka Hulk Hogan) still lives in Tampa. Two other wrestlers (though probably before your time) lived in Tampa as well with "Cowboy" Ron Bass dying a several years back, and another contemporary of Hulk Hogan's (Randy “Macho Man” Savage) died in a car crash when he lived here as well. Virgil Riley Runnels, Jr (aka "Dusty Rhodes") lived in Orlando, but he is dead as well. I arrested him for drunk and disorderly way back in the seventies when both of us where younger.

I was out at the Sonny's on Hillsborough Ave in Town'n'Country when I encountered just about every one in the WWF eating there one afternoon back in the mid nineties. Had about twenty wrestlers that my crew wanted to annoy by asking for autographs. I convinced them that they probably didn't want to make that bunch mad at them for disturbing their lunch, and to just leave them alone.

Big Dave
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:48 PM

Have you checked ididit the sell aftermarket steering columns. Also there is a steering wheel manufacturer in Oregon State that can make you a different steering wheel if you want to customize one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:07 AM

I used a factory tilt column on my '67 because I wanted to keep it correct. But the columns for 65-66 are different and more rare. I just used a nice smaller after market steering wheel on my '65 and it yielded more room than the tilt on the '67.

Mike

1965 Impala SS 396
1967 SS427
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:06 PM

Great story Dave :-)

We are off to Florida on Tuesday to get out of shoveling snow......
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:07 PM

66 Collars

I have a tilt-tele original colum in my 66 SS with gauges. The collars are specific to this column, however they will fit with or without the gauge package.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1974 window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for all Chevrolet Models.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsc66 View Post
I have a tilt-tele original colum in my 66 SS with gauges. The collars are specific to this column, however they will fit with or without the gauge package.

Paul
Thanks. This is ultimately what I would like for the car, the massive undertaking is trying to find one. I assume it uses a special steering wheel, or can I use my stock one? # 2 option would be just the tilt column, which I can find rebuilt & would need to find the collar.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Andre lived in France before he died young, but Terry Bollea (aka Hulk Hogan) still lives in Tampa. Two other wrestlers (though probably before your time) lived in Tampa as well with "Cowboy" Ron Bass dying a several years back, and another contemporary of Hulk Hogan's (Randy “Macho Man” Savage) died in a car crash when he lived here as well. Virgil Riley Runnels, Jr (aka "Dusty Rhodes") lived in Orlando, but he is dead as well. I arrested him for drunk and disorderly way back in the seventies when both of us where younger.

I was out at the Sonny's on Hillsborough Ave in Town'n'Country when I encountered just about every one in the WWF eating there one afternoon back in the mid nineties. Had about twenty wrestlers that my crew wanted to annoy by asking for autographs. I convinced them that they probably didn't want to make that bunch mad at them for disturbing their lunch, and to just leave them alone.

Big Dave

I remember both of them. I saw Macho Man (along w/ Hulk & a few others several time eating lunch at the Hooters in Clearwater. I used to love watching Championship Wrestling from Florida with Gordon Solie back in the mid '70s, but I haven't watched wrestling in years & years. My wife knew Dusty Rhodes quite well, and had a picture of him holding her oldest son when he was a baby.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:34 AM

Columns

Yes, the tilt tele uses a specific steering wheel and you cannot use any of the stock wheels or optional wood wheel with it. As far as the tilt column, you can use the stock wheel or wood wheel with it.
Below Tilt tele column shift
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/AQ0AAO...Nb~/s-l300.jpg

Paul Winvoices

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1974 window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for all Chevrolet Models.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM

Garage
The 1965-66 Impala tilt and tele columns are expensive. I have 2 complete tilt columns without collars for both my Impalas. The collars will cost about the same as the columns. The tele column takes its own collar,column,and steering wheel . The horn button is almost impossible to find and brings serious money.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page