Impalas.net banner

Bench Seat Frame on 63 Impala

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  medisalle 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm having an issue with the driver side of my bench seat on my 63' Impala. I've searched all over the web, looked in my assmbly & shop manulas, but there is literally no info about the construction or repair of the seat frame. I was hoping someone could shed some light & help me out with this.

Where the back of the seat frame meets the top (on the driverside, right next to door), the top of the seat frame poked through the back of the seat's interior (roughly about 3-5 inches below the top of the seat, right above the outer molding on the upholstery). I can easily see that the top of the seat frame is out of position. I can slip the top of the frame back into place, but when I sit down it pops out again. Is this missing some sort of bracket or something? Would this be something that would need to be welded? I'm hoping to try & repair this without having to remove the entire interior to do so if possible. Thank you in advance for your help.

- Jrock63Imapla

#2 ·
Sounds like the frame is broken (weld came loose or the metal fatigued to point of breaking). May have to disassemble the seat and repair the frame (or remanufacture it with a larger diameter wire as most of us are bigger today than we were in the sixties).

Big Dave

#5 ·
yes, it looks like a spot-weld broke loose up in the corner .. the best way to fix it is to remove the seat, shuck the upholstery off (not that hard to do, really) and then fix it with a new weld.

If you're careful, you should be able to fix it without ruining the seat covers - you'll just need new hog rings to install the covers again while you're done. NOW would be the time also, to think about putting new batting / cushioning under the upholstery if you need it.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.