Impalas.net banner

66 Impala Steering Column Installation

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  impalabrl1 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am having difficulty installing my automatic on the floorsteering column. My car has been a part for over 30 years, but based on themanuals I have, I appear to have assembled it correctly. I have the dash upper steering cover attachedto the underside of the dash and it is flush to the dash. I then placed the steering column into theunderside brake/steering support bracket under the dash and tightened thebracket which supports the steering column, with the 2 nuts to the rods whichare connected to the upper fire wall.

This places the steering column outer casing out ofalignment with the upper dash steering cover about a 1/4"' to high. Thisalso makes placing the lower steering cover difficult to install. I looked at pictures of other 66 Impalasteering columns and the outer casing seems to align cylindrically. Am I missing some type of spacer between thesteering column and the under dash bracket?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Brian

#3 ·
Steering Column Installation

Thanks so much for posting photos. In the first picture (Left picture) it appears the steering column casing is a bit higher than the dash cover. Unfortunately the other 2 pictures are very small and I am unable to see them.

Thanks again for the post.

Brian

#5 ·
66 Steering Column

Thanks for reposting the photos. From the picture of the top of the steering column, yours appears the same as mine. The steering collar is a bit higher than the mating dash cover. Apparently this must be correct for 4 speed and automatic on the floor steering columns. Steering columns with shift mechanisms seem to be in-line.

Thank you again for sharing the pictures.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.