Impalas.net banner

Not just another 65 build.

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  JuniorL 
#1 · (Edited)
Xxx

X

#2 ·
You don't have to take the car completely apart to stop rust. You can utilize Cathodic protection. Zinc is the most common metal used to do this but since you can not galvanize your car (you could but it is hard to get paint to stick) you rely upon a zinc rich primer paint to offer protection. Anodic protection is another way to protect your car if you don't mind having the car plugged in and drawing a little bit of power all of the time (this is how bridges over salt water are protected from rusting away).

In either case you are stopping corrosion, which is entropy in action, by either providing easier to obtain electrons (anode protection) or offering corrosion a more tempting morsel such as Zinc compared to Iron (Cathodic protection). The interior of most military vehicles such as air planes, trucks and tanks are olive green not as camouflage, but because they are painted with Zinc Chromate paint to stop corrosion from occurring (at least until the Zinc is totally consumed).

I recommend using fiberglass body filler in moderation, because the all metal alternative is lead which is isn't good for you to be breathing or touching but how it was done in the sixties (you will notice that the seams on the roof and C-pillars are sealed with lead and not plastic because those plastic compounds hadn't been invented yet). We tend to think that plastics have been with us forever but they, like transistors, are a fairly modern invention (all developed within my lifetime).

Big Dave

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
BA,

Good question. I've already made plans to subdue the dash either by painting it or adding a pad. I'm not worried about the hood. If all of those rich dudes driving their chrome and gold plated super cars can manage, I'm sure I'll be fine. :)

Big Dave,

I do plan to finish the car in bare metal so it will have no paint. The level of sheen will be determined by the amount of sanding I do. I'm not planning to take it to a chrome-like finish, but it will be shiny.

This is one of the vehicles I derived my motivation from.

This Airplane-Engine 1939 Plymouth Pickup is Radically Radial

AK.

I just read that article. Very interesting ride. A lot of work. Looking forward to see yours come true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.