Windshield Restoration - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Windshield Restoration

My windshield for my '65 Impala has lots of small scratches/hazing where the wipers have gone across for 50+ years. They don't seem noticeable most of the time, but driving in direct sun or at night with other vehicles headlights shining it cause a fair amount of glare. I was wondering if there are any products out there that can buff of or fill in these scratches to smooth out the windshield?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:10 AM

There are several products out there that claim to be scratch removers. I think that I have tried two, one being the Eastwood product. I have had no noticeable results. But. The rule-of-thumb is that if the scratch is deep enough to feel with your fingernail, then it's not going to polish out. And I was trying to minimize some of those.

Mike

1965 Impala SS 396
1967 SS427
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I might end up trying the Eastwood and see what happens. I don't think I have any deep scratches. If I stick to using elbow grease I doubt that I could make it any worse.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:49 AM

I had something on my 70 GTO windshield that only showed up in sunlight. I tried razor blades, rubbing compound with a buffer and laquer thinner to get it off. I finally replaced it. Don't know what it was but I am happy now.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 02:20 PM

A badly scratched windshield is not only annoying but a potential hazard. Sunlight, or even other lighting sources at night, give excessive glare impairing your overall visibility. Depending on how deep the scratches are many products on the market will give mediocre results at best. As long as the scratches are not deep enough to catch on your fingernail, you should be able to improve them. But hand buffing them out will be difficult. You can get it to be much better with a machine buffer and multiple passes, as needed. Products that provide nano compounds will work best to fill in the scratches.

Glass polishing is still not a mastered science, even by automotive detailers. But I suspect in the next ten years or so that will change. To date, only products with cerium oxide seem to be effective. I would look for something in that area. Give it a shot. Good luck and if you are able to try it, post back with results.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:55 PM

i had the very same issue with my 65 vert. tried everything to make it atleast somewhat
better.. no go.. so just broke down and replaced the windshield. for 250 bucks i saved
myself bout 400 bucks of frustration..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info guys, I will see what I can come up with for results. The car is still in storage for now, just working on my laundry list for the spring. I will make sure to post my results though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp300 View Post
i had the very same issue with my 65 vert. tried everything to make it atleast somewhat
better.. no go.. so just broke down and replaced the windshield. for 250 bucks i saved
myself bout 400 bucks of frustration
That right there says it all. I attempted to restore the back glass on my 67 SS, which had heavy water spots etched into the glass. I started with steel wool (ha, it just laughed at it) and eventually worked my way up to sand paper on a palm sized orbital sander. I went from 1000 grit to 3000, then got the buffer out and hit it with polishing compound. It was a ton of work, but I did manage to get it out on just half the back glass and the corners were impossible to get at so after all that work, I threw in the towel and bought all new glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page