67 impala restore shop - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

67 impala restore shop

Guys, I have a67' impala fast back that needs a few areas touched up and addressed. I cant seem to find a shop that can take it on. Most shops are over booked and 3-4 yrs out. I'm in the west ga area, Cartersville, Rockmart, Yorkville, Dallas, Hiram areas. Any suggestions and help would really be appreciated guys. Looking to have the impala on the summer car tour at least. Most of the work is small rust bubbles under the paint and some small paint issues, nothing major. Thanks team.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	impala.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	17138  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:25 PM

If you have rust bubbling up through paint you have something worse than "nothing major". It usually implies some one put Bondo over bad sheet metal and shot some shinny paint knowing it would last long enough to sell the car.

Luckily for you AMD's installation center isn't too far from you and they can rebuild your car in four to six days leaving it ready for paint.

AMD Installation Center

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave I will check them out.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

67 impapa restore shop

Hey Dave, I called Bill over at AMD today. Bill was telling me that they don't have a gig for impalas as of yet and that the only way he could help was with parts if I needed them at below market pricing. So I'm back at square one. I called a few more shops and got all types of answers and scenarios, etc. So again, if you have any other suggestions, please lay them on me.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:27 PM

Problem with most body shops is that they are actually employees of the major insurance companies. They contract to make as cheap as possible (lots of bondo, very little body hammering), and as fast of a repair as they can working off of a flat labor book (the quote) that encourages taking short cuts with quality. Even so if they get enough turns through their shop they can make money. A classic car that will be labor intensive (very, very labor intensive) will break the bank from their point of view; hence the lack of enthusiasm.

Their usual ploy is to take your car in, and put it in the back of the shop after they disable it by pulling a lot of parts off of it so you can not get it back again. Then they will tell you about all of the "hidden damage" (a favorite phrase in the body shop vocabulary) that prevents you from getting your car repaired in a timely fashion. They will promises to work on it when the shop is slow (another word for closed), and because they need the space your car gets pushed out side to become a home for their guard dog as they throw away all of those trim pieces they pulled off of the car initially to show effort. Over the years (usually two or three) as more parts disappear and your car rots outside you will begin trying to pay them (bribes) to work on it. They will take your money but no work will be done. When you finally get mad enough to pick up what is left of your car they apologize for all of the lost parts as they charge you for storage.

Your best bet is to regularly attend a car show near you to make friends with people that fix these cars in their home garage as a hobby. Maybe they will take you in and teach you what you need to do to fix one. The alternative is to go to your local vocational high school and attend night school to learn about welding and body work if you are lucky to find a class near you. You can use their tools and train under an old body man that can no longer do body work professionally (that is how the instructor was certified to teach the class).

The alternative is buying a library full of How To ... books and a shop full of tools to do it yourself. I never did body work, but I had a race car fabrication shop right next to their collision repair shop and I also met a lot of his body man friends at the bar after hours (when they are drinking you are paying them flat rate labor to work on your car).

Big Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Makes since Dave. Again crystal clear explanation. I have a good, good friend out in Dallas, TX...great restoration guy. Been in business for years, name is Pete, and he owns Southwest Rod and Customs. He has a wealth of videos on how to and DIY, but I don't possess the tools. I'm sure I can do all my own body work and have someone paint it for me, but its the tools, that are my hindrance and again if I jack something up bad enough, im back at looking for someone to repair...lol. But in all honesty you made me realize something.
Buy the time I pay $10-$15k for a resto job,I could have bought the tools and taken the classes. Now, I can not only restore my current project, but I can restore my grandfathers CPO Camaro and other projects....Thanks Dave again for the wisdom.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:35 AM

Sent you PM,

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page