2Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Dave
  • 1 Post By japete92

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Starting my 1963 Restoration

Hello all,
Im 17 years old and recently I have inherited my Grandpas 1963 V8 Impala 2 Door. Last summer me and him rolled it out of the garage for the first time since the early 90s and did an oil change. This restoration was supposed to be our summer project. He bought this car brand new, therefore it only had one owner. Heres where it gets interesting; this car was flooded in 2012 due to Hurricane Sandy. When I drained the oil, Im not joking when I say there was 2-3 Gallons of SALT water in the oil pan. So I figured that Ill have to drop the oil pan and figure out what Im dealing with whether I have to replace it or clean it out. Tranny fluid was as clean as can be and there is only slight corrosion around the vehicle. The water reached about half way up the wheel well so only the bottom half of the motor was in the salt water for a few hours. Also, I hooked up a battery and turned the key to see if I could get the radio working but got no response so I was thinking about replacing the harness. Overall the car is clean and was daily driven it was stored in the garage for the long run.

So, any suggestions on what I should do next or in the future? Any Ideas on what I should check or replace. Any input is extremely appreciated.

- Mike

(I originally posted this on the Welcome Forum but moved it to this one instead)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1411.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	17202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3518.JPG
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	17210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3558.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	17218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3516.JPG
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	17226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3552.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	17242  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:29 PM

Mike,

Here's a link to info you may find helpful:

https://gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm...-Chevrolet.pdf

Also, recommend you purchase the '61 Shop manual and the '63 Supplement to that manual. Also, the '63 Assembly Manual is available and has tons of good info. Those documents are not expensive and are a great source of reliable info.

Good luck.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:14 AM

Don't replace the harness . Possibly it is good and the radio is bad. That motor will need an overhaul with salt water sitting in it

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:01 AM

Unless you have very deep pockets full of cash, replacing parts to fix problems will prove to be frustrating and expensive. You need to learn how to diagnose the cause of each problem you encounter as you encounter the. The service manuals are very helpful in that they offered remove and replace instructions as well as diagnostic information.

Your problem will probably be found in the fuse box (where the under hood wiring harness connects to the cabin wiring harness). There is a single screw that holds the two halves together (which can loosen over time causing arcing issues), and when separated you will see lots of metal connectors that should be nice and shinny bare metal, not burnt or covered in white dull powder. Odds are they are corroded to the point where they do not make a good electrical contact.

Do you need a new harness? Only if you can not wire brush each and every contact to work again. Even then the contact at the end of the cabin harness that powers the radio may be corroded, or worse, cut off to accommodate an aftermarket Japanese stereo radio as the there wasn't an FM or stereo available from the factory back in the days of vacuum tubes. These imports used a different Ohm speaker, and tiny wires to power them; and I doubt you will find an instruction sheet or owners manual to help in diagnostics.

Big Dave
SandyImpala63 likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Dave, Ill have to open up the fuse box and check! Another thing Ive run into trouble with was identifying the engine. Of all the websites I went through, only one had the numbers I was looking for. The casting reads 3746826 and the date is B15 63 and according to the website I finally matched my numbers to, its either a 265 or a 283. How do I know which it is?

Chevy Casting Number identification - Block casting numbers
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyImpala63 View Post
Thanks Dave, Ill have to open up the fuse box and check! Another thing Ive run into trouble with was identifying the engine. Of all the websites I went through, only one had the numbers I was looking for. The casting reads 3746826 and the date is B15 63 and according to the website I finally matched my numbers to, its either a 265 or a 283. How do I know which it is?

Chevy Casting Number identification - Block casting numbers
Heres a photo of the numbers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9874.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	17250  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:04 PM

It is actually easy to tell a 265 from a 283. The 265 has no oil filter pad, and no oil filter built into the oiling system. In fact it is unique in how the engine is oiled requiring special cam bearings to reverse the engine oil down to the main bearings. So if you see an oil filter (canister or spin on) it is a 283.

The other big difference is the 265 never made it past 1958 so the side of the block is missing the three stand offs cast into every other SBC made that allows you to bolt on motor mounts. The 265 used the front and rear mounts of the 1955-'57 Shoe box Chevy (and later Corvettes).

Big Dave
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Big Dave! It does in fact have an oil filter. Looks like its a 283. Also, in response to Japete92, I do have the 1961 and 1963 Shop Manual along with a how to rebuild your SMALL-BLOCK CHEVY book. Like I said earlier, salt water got into the oil pan and maybe a few other components so do you guys think I should lift the engine out and rebuild it? I have all the tools and say we take money out of the picture, is it worth rebuilding? Ive never rebuilt an engine however Id have no problem in trying and following along the steps.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:28 PM

327 was released in 1962 as people wanted the acceleration of a '57 Chevy with a 283 under the hood, but the more modern X-frame cars where much heavier requiring more power. Just like J.T. Kirk used to ask of poor Mr. Scott, his reply is the same "I'm pushing these engines as hard as I can!"

A 350 would offer more smiles per mile, a 383 more grins per trip and a 406 would have you wet you pants with joy. Just set aside the original motor for future use.

More important than the motor is keeping you and your car safe. It could burn to the ground if you installed a fully charged battery before examining your wiring and checking the circuits. You may have no brakes and your brake lines could be corroding from the inside out. Salt water is all bad. Rots any ferrous metal. In addition to the flood there is the yearly salting of the roads that the car has been exposed to. You need to look before you leap. Check the car out thoroughly.

Big Dave
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyImpala63 View Post
Heres a photo of the numbers
Mike,

One way to determine your engine is by the number and suffix stamped on a pad on the front of the block near cylinder 2.

Attached is a pic of the engine that was in my '63 Impala. That number is T0425HCH. The T0425 IDs the date and place of manufacture. The HCH ID's the engine. In my case, according to the number, it was a 327 out of a '66 with a Holley carb and mated to a PowerGlide. As it sat in the car it was mated to a Saginaw 4 speed manual (wrong for '63), had a qudrajet carb (wrong for '66), and the wrong heads. But the block was a 327.

Both the engine and transmission have been replace. The engine is a crate 383 sbc, the trans is a new Autogear "muncie".

When you find your code/suffix you may find it here:

1958-65 Chevrolet full size Engine Suffix codes

If it is not yet on your list, I highly recommend the Assembly Manual.

Here's a link to some cool stuff one person did to a '64 and a sbc:

My 1964 Impala Restoration

Just trying to be helpful.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0168_2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	17258  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Pete! Ill have to check and look for that number. Just read every page of that 64 restoration, really good stuff in there!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 06:14 PM

You're welcome. The gentleman who made the page has been active on this forum. Perhaps he'll see that we are bragging on him and give you a thumbs up.

Your car will be different and you will make different decisions. Go slow. Learning about the car is almost as much fun as working on them. Knowledge is your friend and will help minimize your mistakes (you will make some). Good luck with your tasks.

Please share your pics. We all enjoy them.

Pete
SandyImpala63 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1963, flood, restoration, salt water, two door

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page