New Toy 66 impala 66 convert progress thread - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

New Toy 66 impala 66 convert progress thread

Hey all going to put all my progress here
So i took care of the leaky rear wheel cylinders and brakes.
Also threw in a new battery, car was charging but battery didn't hold charge.
New Air filter,Gas filter, Plugs ,cap & rotor also points were new checked dwell 30-32.
Ordered front shocks as well, one was leaking on the pass side. somebody put air shocks in the rear.
I usually rip them out but leaving them in place for now.also there is the Orig numbers block in the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1874123.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	18042  

Last edited by impalajohn; 06-08-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 03:18 PM

Blocks are not that heavy. Pull that sucker out of the trunk and store it inside in a plastic bag that is air tight (to keep moisture out of the engine). If not, and you drive the car around, the block rolling around in the trunk will punch some interesting dents in your fenders that have to be cut off and a patch panel welded over the hole because the metal is stretched to far (assuming it doesn't go through ) to be shrunk back and hammered flat.

Big Dave
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Hey Dave,
Yes i will, but that sucker is heavy, So i installed the front shocks greased the front end and checked the front wheel cyl they were ok and i greased the front bearings up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Blocks are not that heavy. Pull that sucker out of the trunk and store it inside in a plastic bag that is air tight (to keep moisture out of the engine). If not, and you drive the car around, the block rolling around in the trunk will punch some interesting dents in your fenders that have to be cut off and a patch panel welded over the hole because the metal is stretched to far (assuming it doesn't go through ) to be shrunk back and hammered flat.

Big Dave

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

So i am having issues with the carb there was alittle dirt in the filter again.
i put an inline filter in, now it seems the carb needs to be taken apart to clean it out.
I think the float is getting stuck. runs alittle rough now and then like it wants to stall.
It's not dumping gas,
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 12:49 PM

You may have to drop the gas tank and clean it out. After that it will need to be sealed with epoxy paint; as gasohol is acidic and eats the galvanized coating allowing the mild steel tank to rust otherwise.

The tiny flakes of rust are being continuously agitated by gas sloshing around in the tank, and picked up by the fuel pump. There is a cloth sock on the end of the pick up tube but I do not know the condition of that prefilter after a half century.

Big Dave
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Correct
Quote:
You may have to drop the gas tank and clean it out. After that it will need to be sealed with epoxy paint; as gasohol is acidic and eats the galvanized coating allowing the mild steel tank to rust otherwise.

The tiny flakes of rust are being continuously agitated by gas sloshing around in the tank, and picked up by the fuel pump. There is a cloth sock on the end of the pick up tube but I do not know the condition of that prefilter after a half century.

Big Dave
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

carb

cleaning this carb up later model 74-77 bigger quad 4 barrel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1938-1.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	18082  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalajohn View Post
cleaning this carb up later model 74-77 bigger quad 4 barrel
The biggest QuadraJet made in that time frame was off of a 454 in a Chevy one ton, or three quarter ton, C-K-G light truck. It was rated at 780 cfm.

The 350 in this time frame was rated at 620 cfm and the 305 was rated at 530 cfm. Differences were in the primary bore size and if it had a secondary booster in the primary bore.

Nice thing about a QuadraJet carb is that it can not be over carburetored as it operates off of manifold vacuum. Put a 780 cfm on top of a 350 and it won't flow much more than 620 cfm as it is air flow through the back barrels that determines the total cfm flow rate. If the demand isn't there the back barrels don't even open; which is why you don't see them fully open when you blip the throttle. Small primary barrels offer great throttle response and mileage, plus you get that great QuadraJet sound when the back barrels do open up.

Big Dave
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Exactly Dave!
Well the carb turned out great. Runs good, idles good.
did alittle detailing under the hood too.

Quote:
The biggest QuadraJet made in that time frame was off of a 454 in a Chevy one ton, or three quarter ton, C-K-G light truck. It was rated at 780 cfm.

The 350 in this time frame was rated at 620 cfm and the 305 was rated at 530 cfm. Differences were in the primary bore size and if it had a secondary booster in the primary bore.

Nice thing about a QuadraJet carb is that it can not be over carburetored as it operates off of manifold vacuum. Put a 780 cfm on top of a 350 and it won't flow much more than 620 cfm as it is air flow through the back barrels that determines the total cfm flow rate. If the demand isn't there the back barrels don't even open; which is why you don't see them fully open when you blip the throttle. Small primary barrels offer great throttle response and mileage, plus you get that great QuadraJet sound when the back barrels do open up.

Big Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1946.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	18098  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Seat belt cleaning up

Took out the back seat and vacumed up under there and cleaned the front seat belts still working on rears
Aslo installed a new Gas pedal, surprise the other one was broken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1959.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	18114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1958.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	18122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1963-1-2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	18130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1964.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	18138  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalajohn View Post
Correct

I recommend replacing the tank, especially if you intend to drop the old one. Getting the old tank CLEAN can be tricky and re-cleaning the fuel system gets old very fast.

If you wish to replace the tank, Spectra (from Canada, and sold by several vendors) sells new direct replacement galvanized tanks for about $150 (2x that much if you opt for stainless, which I think is overkill).
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Recarpeted the console fixed light to
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1995.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	18146  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Few pics after quick cruise
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1982.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	18154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1988.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	18162  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 11:03 AM
BA.
Lifetime Premium Member

I had those Rally wheels on my gold 66 vert. (in my profile/garage) your pics remind me of it. Looks good!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

thanks BA, still have it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
I had those Rally wheels on my gold 66 vert. (in my profile/garage) your pics remind me of it. Looks good!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 03:08 PM
BA.
Lifetime Premium Member

I sold that one to a fellow from Chillicothe, Ohio. He honestly said he just planned to use it as a weekend car and take the family out for ice-cream.

it was a really good car, if I didn't have this current black one, i'd miss it more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page