Impalas.net banner

Coil Spring compressor

33K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  drc409 
#1 ·
Anyone have any thoughts on this. Any certain brand tool you would recommens or is there any other way to do this than buying the tool or getting from a shop as a rental?
Thanks

#2 ·
Are you talking about taking it out or putting it back in, or both?

I have seen people re-installing them by compressing the springs with floor jacks under the lower control arm, but the frame needs to be tied down to the floor otherwise the car will jack up because front springs are a lot stiffer then rear ones.

I don't think I would attempt this. I would get a compressor and metal bindings to strap the compressed spring so you can fit it in the frame pocket and thread your ball joint once it is in.

There are several kind of compressors, you have clamps, internal ones and external ones.

External :

Internal :

Clamp style :

I'm still looking for options myself since I'm gonna have to do this in order to restore my control arms and suspension so I'll keep an eye out for this post.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Actually I took the rearend out and left the springs to the lower control arms. I put the rear back in and put everything together and it looks like the top of the coil moved out of the pocket and I can't seem to get it back in.
I will check and see what tool looks like it will be the easiest to use and go that way.
Thanks again.

#4 ·
I've done this job (unfortunately) 3 times on the front of my 65, trying to obtain my desired ride height. Let me offer you some advice.
Using the pictures provided earlier in this thread, notice that the external and clamp type are shown on a strut type spring. I think your only option for front springs on these B Body cars is the "Internal" type.
Notice the blue spacer in the picture. Using something for a spacer is important to keep the compressor center shaft contained within the spring. You do not want the end of that center shaft sticking out the top of the spring too far because you'll never get it to stick through the hole in the upper frame while getting the spring to seat correctly in the top spring seat. Getting the compressed spring to seat in both the upper and lower seats while you jack the lower control arm up can be difficult. The upper spring seat is only shouldered on one side and the spring keeps wanting to move out of position. It can be maddening!!

I started with what I think was the wrong spring in my frontend, causing the control arms to be maxed out and the front end sitting ridiculously high. Then I bought the standard Moog 6084 (I think that was the #), installed them and it was still too high. So I removed them AGAIN and cut a full coil off and reinstalled them. I plan on taking another picture of my car now with the front lowered where I want it and adding it to my 65 Impala thread. It rides better and looks better and doesn't bottom out, and it's dropped pretty low.

Good luck with your spring swap. It's not a fun job so try and do it right the first time. It is very important to install both spring ends correctly in their keyed slots in the control arm. If you have one in the recess correctly and the other side on a higher spot, your car will sit crooked.

#5 ·
What year are we talking about?

I recently did my 64, and started with an internal compressor, similar to the picture above. It was not up to the task and I could not get it to grip the powder coated spring. When I finally did get it to hang on, it slipped off after an inch of compression :eek:. Went to Auto Zone and borrowed their spring comressor (free).

This one worked like a charm. You do need to keep the fork part a few turns up from the bottom otherwise it gets trapped once installed. (yeah I did that the first try;) ). I liked it so much, I am thinking about buying one. It is made by a company called OEM
http://www.oem-tools.com/products/show/27035

Ecklers also sells a spring compressor for the 58-64 Impalas.

#8 · (Edited)
I have rebuilt the front end of many cars a few times over the years:

by using some chain and an engine hoist. (chain the frame and the leg of the engine hoist together and a chain attaches to the A-arm to pick up and compress the spring enough to to bolt the upper ball joint back on).

I used to use a drive on tandem axel ramp trailer with a hydraulic bottle jack and chain but I sold the trailer with my race car, spare motors, and truck when I got out of NHRA racing

Big Dave

#15 ·
I'm gonna have to do this very soon on the '65.

I'm guessing I could snake the compressor on the spring while it is on the car and compress it, then if the spring seems to be compressed enough for removal, note on wich coils the compressor is holding and re-install the same way no?

This way I would avoid trial and error to find the right way to reinstall without trapping the compressor inside?

also, someone mentionned the importance of the spacer, but I fail to see how it could help in avoiding entrapment of the compressor...

#17 ·
You'll find plenty of suggestions on the internet and all will be different. Bottom line is if you're not experienced with doing this you should find a friend that is and have them help you. B bodies are big heavy cars and R&R front spring jobs should be taken seriously. A 65 Impala lower control arm is much different than a Chevelle so there will be unique challenges. Getting them out isn't as bad as trying to get new ones in. ;)

Scott

#19 ·
So in the end it cost me a hundred buck to learn that spring compressors are a pain to use. I might still be glad to have it when comes time to re-install it though, but I doubt it.

After trying to compress it with both springs and failing miserably, I tried something else :
One hook on the compressor and a thick plate under the control arm. Managed to get good compression out of this, but no luck getting it out of the spring pocket.

Compressed :

Uncompressed pass side. You can see the difference :

Gave up and rigged the threaded rod with same plate under control arm :

Out in 10 minutes, super slowly and safely, just how I like it :

#22 ·
Autozone had/ has(?) a free tool loaner program. You pay for the part; get your money back upon return. No return; you own it. I used this service a lot including a coil spring compressor when restoring my car. Worked great. I also used a safety chain for safety as someone else mentioned. It's a very good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.