Impalas.net banner

Can't find old brake thread

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Carmine 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Two days ago, I was researching some old threads on this site and came across an interesting one. It had mentioned that someone had touchy power brakes and they moved the brake rod position from the top hole on the pedal to the bottom hole and this cured their problem. At least I think that is what they said. My '62 also had/has very touchy brakes. I was not only told that, but the 150' I drove it, I applied them a few times almost throwing me threw the windshield. The previous owner said to apply them 5-6 times and this issue would go away. Hmmmm...................I certainly wish I would have saved that thread in my favorites, but I didn't and now I can't find it. Does anyone recall reading it or know anything about changing the brake rod on the pedal?? I have a completely new brake system, front to back, and I 'm not sure this will be a problem again. Just want to be prepared if it does happen. I saw that my brake pedal does have 2 holes and the rod is presently in the top one. Funny thing, the other hole about 1" below it, will not let the clevis pin attach. The hole is too small for the pin. I'm almost positive that the previous owner installed the power brakes on this car. I don't know if he drilled one of the holes or the pedal came that way?? Thank you, Carmine.

#2 ·
The bottom hole is used manual brakes normally. The lower hole allows more force to be applied to the master cylinder due to improved leverage with less pedal effort. It does restrict the total length of the stroke however.

It sounds as though your brakes are grabbing which is frequently a result of either oil on the pads or mis-alignment of the disc in the center of the caliper so that it applies more force than intended to one side of the disc. This isn't as critical on a full floating one piston but can become an issue with mismatched parts that use adapters to mount a caliper on a drum brake steering knuckle.

Big Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.