Impalas.net banner

power steering pump?

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  JIML82 
#1 ·
On my list of winter projects is to replace my power steering pump (it's not the right one).
I'm also planning on replacing lines and rebuilding the cylinder.

I seem to only see the pumps for converting cars (non-p/s to p/s).
Am I missing something?

Can some one point me to the correct pump (with reservoir)?

Thanks

#3 ·
The actual pumps are all the same. The external reservoir is designed to fit a specific motor be it a Chevy; whether a small block, big block or 409, or it could be an Olds, or Pontiac series of engines, etc. as all GM cars used the same pump. The pump's hoses are also specific to the car body which could be a sub compact, economy car, sports car, mid size, or full size combination, front or rear wheel drive. The pulleys come in two flavors: bolt on or press-on, with either a single groove or double. The hoses are also specific to each body and motor combination. Similarly there are two sets of small block power steering brackets one set for short water pumps and another to fit a long water pump.

You can easily find the pump at RockAuto, but the mounting brackets are a different story.

Big Dave

#4 ·
OK, fair enough.... the pump isn't really the issue (it seems to work fine). what the issue is... the reservoir is the issue... there isn't a place to attach the power steering Pump adjuster brace...
https://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-size-chevy-power-steering-pump-adjuster-brace-1958-1972.html

the previous owner, took the pivot bolt and tightened it to keep tension on the belt. I got the brace and then noticed that there isn't a bolt (not a place for the rear bolt).
Also the filler neck lays way over to the driver's side and comes very close to the steering shaft. I'm fairly certain that the belt is too long, but before I dig in further... I want to have the correct parts to do it right.

#5 ·
Like I said, give a call to Authentic Automotive, he knows this stuff inside and out. He can point you in the right direction. My experience with buying replacement pumps from restoration parts suppliers is that they don't get it right. I purchased and installed a replacement, only to find it had the reservoir was at an odd angle by the time I put on the belt :mad:

#6 ·
As I understand it it isn't the easily obtained pump he needs but the hard to find three piece power steering pump mounting brackets. When people install headers they frequently toss the part of the braketry that holds it to the head on the exhaust port side instead of mounting it with a spacer.

Big Dave

#9 ·
Just a tip. If you want to save yourself a lot of swearing, hassles and leaks, when you replace the P/S hoses, make sure you get the pressure hose oriented correctly and tightened as tight as you can before you install the pump. Usually once the pump is installed there is no access to tighten the pressure fitting.

#10 ·
great info...
I need new hoses bad... I have a leak...
I am also certain they are not routed correctly.

#11 ·
well, broke down and got a new set of hoses..
while I was at it... found a rebuilt correct pump.

hoping that I'll be able to mess with it this weekend.

wondering about suggestions on the following....
The pump now has tranny fluid, should I stay with that or go ahead and use ps fluid???

#13 ·
Genuine GM Power Steering Fluid 101

Originally in the 1950’s, automatic transmission fluid (ATF) was specified for use in both General Motors automatic transmissions and also for their power steering systems. But as vehicles got heavier, engines bigger, and temperatures hotter, the requirements for the two different systems changed. The GM Research Labs had a Lubricants Section that began testing and modifying the ATF formulation to improve the performance of the GM Hydramatic, Dynaflow, and Powerglide transmissions. They did this without much regard to the fact that the power steering system was using the ATF fluid as well. Sort of the tail being wagged by the dog.

So around the same time, Saginaw Steering Gear Division and Texaco began testing and developing a fluid specifically for power steering. The fluid characteristics were specifically formulated to provide anti-corrosion and non-foaming qualities with excellent lubrication for year around use. There was also particular emphasis placed on wear testing performance with respect to the vanes, rotor, cam ring, and the driveshaft bushing in the big Saginaw “P” model power steering pump. By the way, the “P” model was the only power steering pump used in all C2/C3 Corvettes and all GM passenger cars and light trucks with power steering in the 1960s and 1970s.

That is why some of the early power steering reservoir caps had ATF specified as the proper fluid to use. All the later pump caps and the owner's manuals have said to use "Approved Fluid". The GM power steering fluid is approved for use in any vehicle with a Saginaw power steering pump.

To be honest, all of the Saginaw power steering pumps adapt fairly well to all kinds of fluids. The pumps are marketed and sold all over the world and are used by many vehicle manufacturers who specify their own power steering fluids. Chrysler in the past has used a very simple mineral based fluid. They eventually changed to GM power steering fluid. I am not sure if they still use GM fluid today or not. Ford uses a special Ford ATF fluid. VW uses a European brand of fluid called Pentosin. All of these fluids reportedly work well in their vehicles.

I have no idea who formulated the PS fluid that is sold at K-mart, Pep Boys, NAPA, etc. This isn’t to say that it is bad. However, the amber colored GM fluid is the only fluid that has been certified and tested in GM durability test vehicles for millions of miles. It also is the only fluid that have been durability tested in the Saginaw Steering Gear engineering labs for hundreds of thousands of hours. All of the rubber compounds that are used in the seals, hoses, etc in the production GM power steering system are tested in the materials laboratory for compatibility with the fluid.

The GM part number for a quart of power steering fluid is 89020661. The previous GM part number for power steering fluid was 1050017. Both fluids work equally well.

BTW, there is a recent push to use Dexron®VI automatic transmission fluid as a “universal” fluid for power steering systems was well as automatic transmissions. Nexteer (formerly Saginaw Steering) engineers report that the Dexron®VI fluid is NOT as good as genuine GM power steering fluid.

JIML82@aol.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.