Impalas.net banner

69 Impala brake conv.

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  7Ways 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever had this problem ? Where do I begin 1st i ordered this (located in Phonenix) disc brake conv. for my 69 impala conv. From I don't know if I can say the but They are supposed to be chevy guys right? wrong. They in turned sent me some parts from SSBC and McGaulys . Now this was a dropped spindle kit and boy it really screwed up my suspension. I carted my car around for a year trying to get alignments to no avail. I took the crap off . what is the big deal with 69 ? I would like know if u can by the parts to convert over to disc brakes from the local auto store. i wuish I would have foun this site sooner.

#2 ·
SSBC makes a complete dropped spindle kit as well as a standard height kit. By complete I mean every part that bolts to the car except the hard brake lines. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about getting the geometry sorted out before. Have you replaced all of the rubber suspension parts (with either a harder durometer rubber or polyurethane bushings as that will cause problems if they are worn). I personally used Global West and PST parts to rebuild my full front end, and I remember seeing in PST's catalogue that they offers a disc conversion change over kit for '64-'76 B-bodies.

Big Dave

#3 ·
What year is your car ? Is it a 69? When I started this project 2 years ago those companies Global West and PST make limmited parts for 69.When I had that drop spindle kit. my chmber was way off. I called Global West for a longer upper A-arm.NO GO. Alot of these companies say they have kits ,until u say 69. Which brings me to ask another ? in my interchange book not all spindles are interchangeable But these advertise 65 thru 69 kits spindles and all ?

#5 ·
I've got an '85 and an '89 (series runs '77 to '90). Yes the rubber control arm bushings (upper and lower) have a lot of deflection in them by now if they haven't been replaced. According to Hollander Interchange there are no other donor vehicles for your spindle (Hollander Interchange number 510). I do have a hole in my coverage as one set of books covers up to '66 and the other goes down to '77. But the '69 you have shares many chassis parts with '65 through '76.

Big Dave

#6 ·
7Ways said:
what is the big deal with 69 ?
The big deal is this...

Disc brake technology although not a new thing in the late 1960's, WAS a new thing to the Chevrolet full size models. They first got them in 1967. Now the spindles for these are very different than drum brakes and there's the problem.

I don't know the exact patter, but I have a '69 with factory discs...and I know that 1968 parts won't work. I'm pretty sure 1967 parts won't work on 1968 either, and I've heard complaints the 1970's won't fit the 1969's. Now I am talking about cars with factory discs...but here's my point. If they changed the spindles at least every other year, possibly every year, then there's a fair chance there is enough variation in drum spindles from year to year to make a difference. That's just my idea...however I have NOT research it in depth to tell you for sure that this is the deal!

#7 ·
You lucky dog u.Are u sure about the interchange year my book gets a little hairy in there.When I started this project disc brakes was really my concern.Since this ordeal it really blew my budget.But i have since got some disc spindles from a 69.When I put a caliper on I will let u know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.