Any info on 3884520 Heads? - Impala Tech
Impala Tech

Official Sponsor of Team Impala     

Performance Our High Performance Area

Impalas.net is the premier Chevrolet Impala Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:20 AM
Dallas Scott

RamAirZ is on a distinguished road
Default Any info on 3884520 Heads?

I thought I would post this here too:

Hey guys, I told you before that I found out that my 67' Biscayne appears to have a 307 in it (block casting number- 3970020). I found tonight that I appear to have some powerpack 283 heads on it as well lol. The numbers come as follow: 3884520 GM 4 T^-(big triangle lol) 0238-(may be 0288). These heads appear to be about 60cc chambers from what I gather online and 1.72/1.50 valves. Do you think these heads could support up to 300hp with a 1.94 intake valve? Anyone have any experience with these as I personally do not. Any help would be great!

1988 Ford F350 Dually: It HAULS! Literally

1987 Iroc- LS1/T56 swap- sold

1967 Chevrolet K10- lifted, locked, 33's, OD Green- sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 03:38 PM

Big Dave is on a distinguished road

3884520 was a 60 cc Canadian made head for a 1960-'67 283. It was also sold to Studebaker for use in their cars as Studebaker had licensed the SBC for use in their cars made in Canada after going out of business (put out of business by American Motors under their consolidation plan) in the US.

As you have observed they are Power Pack heads and can support up to about 300 horse if properly prepped (used on the 283 horse power 283 in the fuel injected Corvette). To give you an idea how old this head technology is scope out the "new Fuelie heads" these retro guys are stuffing into Project X an 1957 Chevy that Pop Rod was hot rodding for the first time. Check out the hair styles to clue you in how old and crusty these heads realy are. When is the last time you bought a tube of Brylcreem?

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 07-11-2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 07-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Dallas Scott

lol ya I know they are old, but was thinking since they are on here and don't burn any oil (valve seals seem good) that maybe a cam/spring upgrade and the carb/intake setup I have sitting around would add some decent power without much money/work

Old 07-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Armand

Splitter is on a distinguished road

Chevy Hi Performance magazine did a 283 buildup around '94 or '95, and they used -520 heads. The heads were bowl ported and machined for a 1.84 or 1.94 intake valve. At some point they swapped the -520 heads for a set of 64cc iron heads from a late model IROC Camaro, and the car picked up around 20hp. I think the end result was just over 300hp. It might be worth it for you to hunt down that magazine; mine is long gone.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:22 AM
Dallas Scott

Ya I've been looking around a bit, still trying to decide which route I wanna go. I think I'll do a mild cam/spring upgrade and call it a day, well with the intake/carb going on too. I'm gonna try to get this thing running fairly decent, make some good low end power and get decent MPG. Down the road it'll end up with something a little crazier, but don't see the need for it right now as this engine runs great as it sits and has no leaks or anything!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:42 AM

Big Dave is on a distinguished road

The best head available for street use is the Vortec head off of a late model pick-up truck. You can buy them new from Scoggin-Dickey or Summit fully machined to support over a 0.520" lift cam if you want: or reuse the stockers and stay below 0.480" lift (a limitation built in by the valve stem oil seal). These heads out flow every other head on the market below 0.350" lift which is where most cams spend most of there time. As even if you do have a 0.560" lift cam installed it has to lift through the lower lift numbers twice to get to that brief instance of high lift.

Only down side to using this more modern computer designed head is you have to use a modern aftermarket manifold to match it (all Vortecs are TBI EFI) and use self guiding rocker arms (Older heads had valve guides made of hardened steel below the rocker studs) as GM changed everything around to minimize the emissions in the motor to meet the ever tightening noose on internal combustion. Good news is the improved combustion chamber known as a "fast burn" combined with the improved ports allow you to bolt on 60 horse power with no other changes.

Add a set of headers (which have a hard time sealing because the ports are "D" shaped and raised compared to the old square SBC exhaust port) and gain another free 20 horsepower. There are a few companies that make a Vortec header (only three to my knowledge) but they are hard to find as they don't spend their R&D money advertising and marketing their product.

Big Dave
Old 07-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Dallas Scott

Ya I have alot of experience with the Vortec heads and their limitations in factory form. Lots of good info there Dave for people that don't though because when I first ran into it,I was like WTF? The Vortec's weren't TBI though technically, they were CPI. They used a distribution block in the center of the manifold and ran off to 8 spall poppet "spider" injectors as they called them (because the whole assembly looks like a big spider when removed). Now the Marine Vortec engine's used a cast iron duplicate of the CPI manifold (the stock CPI manifold was aluminum/plastic) but ran MPFI. I ran this conversion on my 98' GMC pickup that I was building up awhile back. That manifold was HEAVY!!! and you have to modify a few things to work correctly on a street engine.

Cast Iron on left painted

I ran Gibson stainless headers on it and never had a problem with leaking or such really. They worked pretty good and pushed the 5500lb 4x4 into the 8's in the 1/8 mile on 33" super swampers without the supercharger/nitrous that ended up on it later lol. Comp Cams makes a valve spring, 915 and 918, that will fit with no machining. They are made for the Gen III engine's. You can also run LS6 valve springs using comp cams retainers and changing the seals to Sealed Power Part # ST2015. Will get you up to around .550 of lift fairly cheap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement