66 Impala Big Block Engine Frame Mounts - Impala Tech
Impala Tech

Official Sponsor of Team Impala     

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Impalas.net is the premier Chevrolet Impala Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Rick

Rick66SS is on a distinguished road
Default 66 Impala Big Block Engine Frame Mounts

Im neck deep in changing out my 283 / glide for a 396 / 400. Tried to slide the 396/400 in this morning and it wouldnt fit the small block mount towers. I have new motor mounts and it seems they are spaced too wide for the existing towers. I have searched the net for 66 big block towers and havnt found any (only a used set on Ebay). Can anyone confirm there is a difference between the 2 and where they might be found?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2009, 06:28 PM

Big Dave is on a distinguished road

There isn't a difference between BBC and SBC chassis frame stand mounts like there are on the Camaro and the Nova. There is a difference in the year application however between the actual rubber isolator mounts sold that bolt to the block. The problem you are having is the fact that 99% of the corner auto parts store mounts will be for a 1969-'72 vehicle. In 1969 they redesigned the motor mount and that is all anyone sells. Prior to 1969 (starting in 1958 and running through 1968) the motor mounts were just glued tiogether (Vulcanized). There was nothing to prevent the engines torque from ripping them in two so everyone uses the later style mount that was dimensoinally different.

Look here to confirm your dimensions (the mount has to fit the stand):

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/mt_tr1.html

If that is not the problem you have an inline six frame stand. Which I really doubt as they would meet in the middle of the motor arrising up at about a fortyfive degee angle.

Big Dave
Old 08-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Rick

Rick66SS is on a distinguished road

You're right Dave, thanks. I figured since this setup couldve been from the factory, Napa would have it right. They gave me the tall & narrow and I need the short and wide. No wonder they wouldnt clear the width of the towers.
Only other problems are I found that the radiator core support will have to be trimmed because the '66 4 core radiator I bought is taller and sticks further down and will fab. trans mounts. The factory trans mounts are welded on. Im getting close!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2789.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	712   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2790.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	713  
Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 PM

Dennis

65SSblackbeauty is on a distinguished road
Default Engine stand differences

Big Dave, New FREE member. I'd like to be on for a while before joining. I found this old post on engine mounts. I have a 65 SS that came from the factory with a straight six and three on the tree. When I bought it it had been converted to a 350 V8 and a four speed. I've now gone to a 454 Big Block and a TH400. I have this very annoying vibration that seems to be engine related but not internaly. We're thinking emgine mounts. You mention that there is a differance from the six's stands to the V8 stands. Is there any way the previous owner could have left those in and that that is causing problems?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 PM

Big Dave is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the Team Dennis!

First let me state that if you had retained the six cylinder mounts your V-8 wouldn't have been able to bolted in.

Most likely your vibration problem is with a pinion angle misalignment caused by your transmission's tail shaft having moved higher or sideways. If the angles formed by the drive shaft with the universal joints are not identical in angle but opposite in sign the drive shaft vibrates. Keep in mind there are two planes to check as up and down is as important as left and right.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement