Replacing lower front control arm bushing 65' - Impala Tech
Impala Tech

Official Sponsor of Team Impala     

Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

Impalas.net is the premier Chevrolet Impala Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:22 AM

JOESPANOVA is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing lower front control arm bushing 65'

Getting ready to change over to Poly bushings. Anyone changed the lower fronts , either OEM style or after market? How much of a bitch was it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Team Member
Allan

BA. is on a distinguished road

Haven't done that on the Impala yet,....it's on the future to-do list.

Do you plan on trying to replace the bushing on the arm at home,....or take it to a place that can press them out and pressin the new one?

It's always taken me *hours* to remove/install control-arm bushings using just wd-40, air tools, hammers, propane, ice, etc. it kinda sucks! I'm finding a press next time!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:24 AM

Big Dave is on a distinguished road

I drill out the rubber with an electric hand held drill and a 3/8th inch bit. Once the rubber is Swiss cheesed enough they fall apart then it is east to slit the steel outer sleeve with a Saws-All (these sleeves are often not provided if using a replacement rubber bushing; so skip this step if using rubber) and pop it out with a small ball peen hammer.

Be careful to not crush the lower control arm when pressing in the new bushing. A five ton hand operated arbor press, or even an eight inch vise is all the force you need to press in the bushing (of course a 100 ton H-frame hydraulic press is nice too). You will still have to support the lower control arm with a piece of flat scrap or something inside the channel to prevent distortion of the hole and collapsing the arm on the open side (I would recommend fully boxing in the arms with flat stock if you can weld).

Big Dave
Old 10-11-2009, 07:04 PM

JOESPANOVA is on a distinguished road

OK , an update........
Today I removed the bushings and it was a hell of a lot easier than the uppers . I do have a press in my shop , so what I did was press out the metal sleeve , then wedge a screwdriver in between the metal case and the rubber bushing and squirted some WD-40 in between the bushing and case at various points , then just pressed out the old rubber bushing, it was that easy. Now that I have the control arms out and separated from the spindles I'll replace the lower ball joints , media blast and paint the control arms and springs and reassemble . At this point I will have completely rebuilt most of the front end.

One thing that was a bitch was separating the grip of the lower ball joints from the spindles...........a pickle fork , heat and WD-40 is what it'll take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement