Good ol' gen light on 64 impala - Impala Tech
Impala Tech

Official Sponsor of Team Impala     

Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

Impalas.net is the premier Chevrolet Impala Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Alex Barna VI

VI-T4SS is on a distinguished road
Default Good ol' gen light on 64 impala

Ok, you guys are always so helpful on here! I have run into yet another problem, lol... go figure. My GEN light is staying on even when the car is OFF and key is in OFF position. It is causing my battery to die and i am having to charge it when i want to drive the car. I have looked all over this site and others and have found a few things but thought perhaps you guys could narrow it down. The only things i found on here were when the brake was applied, or when the car was running. This is happening when my car is OFF. If this is a repeat question i apologize, but would appreciate the help. I recently replaced the ignition lock/cylinder so that would match all of the new locks on my car and also because you could start my car without the key.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Dan

Mr1963Convert is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem on a 1963 Impala.
New battery
New ignition switch
New neutral safety switch
New Relay
New Voltage Regulator

HELP
Old 06-29-2011, 12:14 AM

Big Dave is on a distinguished road

Well easiest solution is a disconnect switch at the battery. As soon as you turn it off get out in whatever weather you find yourself, raise the hood and flip the switch. No more problem.

What is the problem. You have a short in one of your car's wires (don't ask which one because I don't know which one it is.) I suspect it is in the charging circuit and the first thing I would check is the voltage regulator if you have a DN style alternator, or the alternator's internal diode pack if an early SI style alternator.

Other suspects are the ignition wiring or the ignition switch. The brake switch or the Hi-Low dimmer switch on your floor boards, as both have a lot of power going through them, or the horn button or turn signal switch in side the steering column. It could be corrosion in the bulkhead connector that forms the back of the fuse block. Or some earlier idiot may have some non-factory wire plugged into the fuse block that powers some accessory (like a non-stock radio) that is drawing from the BAT terminal.

There are as many possibilities as there are wires in your car (and there are more in your car than you think there are). This is why 95% of all electrical problems are fixed by replacing the entire wiring harness. This is because it is too labor intensive (unless you are working for Jay Leno on one of his rare cars) to attempt to diagnose an electrical problem going over and testing every circuit for ground, continuity and resistance, as well as measuring the amperage it conducts to eliminate it as the cause of your problem.

You can buy an universal kit from Painless or American Wire and save money if you are good with electronic circuits; or a direct fit original OEM replacement reproduced part that costs a lot more from one of the repop houses, and just replace what you have now.

Big Dave
Old 06-29-2011, 01:34 AM
Big B

Big B is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem in my 64, my gen light stays on with they key off. Soon as the engine is started though it comes off, then on when car is shut off. I replaced ignition switch, lights, dimmer and wiper. Now I just do like Big Dave says, put a disconect switch and your done.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 AM

fsc66 is on a distinguished road
Default Gen light

I would get out my trusty assembly manual or service manual and trace first the generator light wiring and go from there. These problems may be as easy as a faulty ground.

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1965 through 1969 window stickers, car shippers
and dealer invoices, expertly reproduced, for all Chevrolet Models.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...letclub196566/

Old 06-29-2011, 09:21 AM
David

dcairns is on a distinguished road

Try unplugging the connector to the voltage regulator and see if it goes out. If so, replace the regulator. I would recommend a solid state regulator. I went through 3 standard replacements, none of which worked right, then I got this one

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=140

and it works great.

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1964 impala, gen light, generator light