Hook up vac line/bench test brake booster - Impala Tech
Impala Tech

Official Sponsor of Team Impala     

Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

Impalas.net is the premier Chevrolet Impala Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:46 PM

Joe

liljoe66 is on a distinguished road
Default Hook up vac line/bench test brake booster

Howdy all,
Upgrading my 65 4 door to disc front brakes, replacing the master cyl with booster and dual chamber master cyl from a 69. Does anyone know where to hook up the vac line on my rochester quadjet? Also, will I need to increase the brake line size on the front brakes from the old drums? If anyone has ever changed their system over and has photos of their booster setup at the carb and the prop valve I would greatly appreciate it. Also any photos of how the lines are split once they leave the prop valve and go to the wheels.

I purchased the 69 impala brake booster used and was told that it worked when the car was parked however I would like to bench test the booster before installing. Does anyone know how to bench test the booster without acutally hooking it up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 09:23 PM

Big Dave is on a distinguished road

1.) Does anyone know where to hook up the vac line on my Rochester quadjet? It goes into a hose barb elbow fitting that screwed into the intake manifold originally. You would use the same hole in the manifold with a vacuum brake hose barb on one side and a vacuum line on another face of the hexagonal fitting with power assist brakes. The three eighth inch Vacuum brake hose also has a one way check valve to keep your diaphragm from loosing vacuum when the car is off.

2.) Also, will I need to increase the brake line size on the front brakes from the old drums? NO!

3.) If anyone ... has photos of their booster setup at the carb and the prop valve I would greatly appreciate it. Also any photos of how the lines are split once they leave the prop valve and go to the wheels. I will look to see what I can find in my collection of car show photos for a stock set-up, might have an informative photo.

4.) Does anyone know how to bench test the booster without actually hooking it up? You will have to bench bleed it to get the air bubbles out any way. You will need a tube and flare compression nut to run fluid out of the master cylinder and back into the reservoir for both front and rear ports. You can buy a piece of 12 inch long brake line at NAPA and also find the master cylinder fittings in the Weatherhead cabinet (ask the counterman for help finding the fittings and bring your master cylinder along to verify they fit). Then just fill with fluid and push in the back of the master cylinder until you get no bubbles. It is ready to install at that time.

Big Dave
Old 01-06-2012, 10:36 PM
craig

Fossil_Fuel is on a distinguished road

" Does anyone know how to bench test the booster without acutally hooking it up? "

The only thing you can really check on the booster is if it holds vacuum or not and also see if the check valve is working.

You will have to find some vacuum line adapters to fit a vacuum pump onto the booster. Pump it down and see if it holds pressure without leaking. You can just try and blow into the booster to see if the check valve is working.
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
Old 01-07-2012, 07:18 PM
David

dcairns is on a distinguished road

I used to have a 350 based 383 in my 64 with a Quadrajet carb.

You can see the booster's vacuum hose coming from the right of the picture to the manifold vacuum fitting behind the carb.

How the brake lines were hooked up with this kit. I can't recommend doing it this way, it looks very messy.

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM

Joe

liljoe66 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice and the photos. I will look at the back of the intake manifold when I get home tonight and see if mine has the fitting on the back side. It may just have a plug in it as this vehicle never had the Manifold Pressure dash gauge installed. The plumbing for the prop valve looks pretty straight forward however should I use both forward ports on the prop valve for left and right front brakes (as photo shows)? Or should I use a single port to a T fitting with the second port capped like my brakes are now plumbed?

Again thank you BigDave and all who are willing to help the "mechanically challenged" like myself. Just bought this vehicle 9 months ago and have already learned so much about 60's technology. Any suggestions on books/references for rebuilding a 327?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:46 PM

Big Dave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljoe66 View Post
... Any suggestions on books/references for rebuilding a 327?
Here is a good one!

Amazon.com: How to Rebuild Your Small-Block Chevy (9781557880291): David Vizard: Books Amazon.com: How to Rebuild Your Small-Block Chevy (9781557880291): David Vizard: Books

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement