Carb problem - What carb do i have? - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Carb problem - What carb do i have?

Ok so i know i have a Carter, but thats it,,,

Its in my 64' SS with 327. I'v only had the car a short time & i don't know if anything or everything is original.

The car sat for maybe 10+ years, just recently had it running for about a week, & now all of a sudden its not spraying any fuel. I'm thinking i need to tear into the carb but i don't want to take it apart till i know more about it, as in style? model? series?... any info would help.

PS, I removed the the steel line from pump to carb, replaced a section with rubber hose & put in a clear filter before the carbs internal metalic filter, this was done before ever cranking the engine, & the clear filter seems to still be clean & is filling up with fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:40 PM

a picture would be nice. It probably needs a new pump leather, that comes in the kit.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:43 PM
BA.

All of my time has been spent on the Holley's but a few general idea's would be the same.

1. Remove that stock filter entirely, or just try cleaning it and re-installing it. Personally, I always take them out.

2. Is there a sight-hole for checking float level? Can't hurt to see that the bowl has fuel in it.

3. Does the Carter have a needle & seat like a Holley? Sometimes they can get stuck due to some kind of foreign material. On a Holley, you can sometimes clear it up by giving the top of the needle & seat a gentle rap with a small hammer, or by tapping the float bowl.

I like DG's idea too, if the rubber/cork pump piece gets a tear in it, you'd have very little or no squirt.

I've got a thick Carter carb book that I can dig out if necessary.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:58 PM

Also a lot of the Carter carbs on these early 60's Chevys (1958-'65) are actually Rochester 4GC models not a Carter model WCFB or AFB or the even newer AVS as the Carter takes a Holley style manifold which was not commonly used on anything other than the Corvette before 1968.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 07:12 AM

As the others have said. Don't blame the carb just yet. Check the fuel pump first.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page