409 engine swap - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

409 engine swap

I recently purchased a 1964 Impala SS that was originally equipped with a 327 with a power glide. The previous owner pulled the 327 and located a 409 truck engine and had it rebuilt and also include a TH400 transmission. I bought it as a unfinished project when he got in a financial problems.

The issues I can see are the 409 has no pulleys, flex plate, motor mounts, brackets for alternator or PS, distributor or dip stick. What if any of the components can be shared from the 327?

The previous owner purchased a Edlebrock Perfomer intake and chrome valve covers there is a yellow plug in the intake just ahead of the distributor hole can that be used for a pcv? The valve covers have no provision for pcv either and I don't believe I've ever seen a 409 with a pcv or will I need to find some kind of crankcase vent tube?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964SS409 View Post
The issues I can see are the 409 has no pulleys, flex plate, motor mounts, brackets for alternator or PS, distributor or dip stick. What if any of the components can be shared from the 327?

The previous owner purchased a Edlebrock Perfomer intake and chrome valve covers there is a yellow plug in the intake just ahead of the distributor hole can that be used for a pcv? The valve covers have no provision for pcv either and I don't believe I've ever seen a 409 with a pcv or will I need to find some kind of crankcase vent tube?
You can reuse the 327 pulleys though there is a strong possibility that the pulleys or brackets will have to be shimmed with either shims or flat washers to get them to ALL line up.

Motor mounts will bolt up so they can be reused but they will break as you need the type that were interlocking. They are sold mail order or you can go to a polyurethane motor mount that is interlocking.

Distributor is the same. The only difference is in the weights and springs used on the advance platform to match the torque curve of the big block. You can have the distributor recurved professionally on a Sunnen distributor machine or do it your self with a kit and guess at the curve by trial and error.

Dip stick can be replaced with an aftermarket one. Lokar sells billet aluminum knob dip sticks; but Moroso, Milidon, and Steff's, and other oil pan makers all sell dip sticks that can be cut to length.

Brackets are going to be a problem as they are specific to the engine.

The plug is filling a vacuum access port used for power brakes, engine vacuum gauges or for PCV. The 348/409 was built originally for a road draft tube so access to the vacuum is through the back of the block. You would use the same PCV system as was on your car now just transfer everything over. PCV systems first appeared in 1962.

Big Dave
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Big Dave

On the performer intake manifold the plug is actually a yellow plastic plug that appears to go gown to the lifter valley.

I'm new to the forum and I could post a pic of what I'm referring to but I have no idea how to post pics.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info Big Dave

On the performer intake manifold the plug is actually a yellow plastic plug that appears to go gown to the lifter valley.

I'm new to the forum and I could post a pic of what I'm referring to but I have no idea how to post pics.
Here is a well written illustrated post on how to post pictures that works on any site.

posting photos using Photobucket - Nova Tech

Big Dave
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

[IMG][/IMG]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Big Dave the yellow plug just left and forward of the distributor could it be used for PCV with proper grommet or does a PCV require some sort of baffle below it to prevent sucking oil through the vacuum source or should it be for a crankcase vent that the previous owner didn't get?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Big Dave the yellow plug just left and forward of the distributor could it be used for PCV with proper grommet or does a PCV require some sort of baffle below it to prevent sucking oil through the vacuum source or should it be for a crankcase vent that the previous owner didn't get?
That is for the road draft tube, or better known as a crankcase vent. It should have a baffle under the intake to separate the oil first. GM didn't start using the pcv system until 1966/67 era.

I see the filler neck and cap on the side now. IF there is a conversion to prevent oil from entering the pcv valve, you can route a hose to the carb tube. Seems the 348-409 forum has some info on this with a parts site http://www.show-cars.com/02_Engine_Ext_2.html having info and maybe parts.

'62 Impala SS 409 TH350
'66 Chevelle SS 496 M20
'70 Chevelle SS 396 M20
'67 Camaro ss/rs 350 PG
'38 Chev coupe street rod
'54 Chev 210 2 door
'69 Chev C10
'89 Chev R3500 roll back

Last edited by Lost in the 60's; 04-20-2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added info
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link it's got lots of goodies

1964SS
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 09:44 PM

The same parts used on your 327 should fit on the 409. Here is a diagram of how the PCV system was plumbed for mid sixty year Chevys:

In 1961 or '62 (note the generator instead of an alternator, and vented oil fill tube) there was no PCV just a road draft tube dripping oil on the ground.

Big Dave
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Dave that's what I was hoping to avoid was a oil dripping draft tube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page