350 TBI motor question - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

350 TBI motor question

Have a quick question that I hope someone will know the answer. I was able to get a 1994 350 TBI motor with 4l60e for under a $100.

I bought it so my 12 year old son could tear it apart and learn how to rebuild it. My question is:

Can I take the 350 TBI short block and install a set of older Brodix heads I had laying around. I also have a spare Dart intake and Holley carb. I thought the Gen 1 shortblocks were pretty much the same as the TBI blocks???

I know the 4l60e is electronic so I will need a trans controller.

Brian

1968 Impala SS Fastback 383 stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 10:09 AM

Brian if it had a distributor that was on top of the engine (out of a pick-up) then engine is a standard SBC and will accept the older Brodix Race Rite heads and Dart single plane intake. Though your static compression will be down due to dished pistons.

If the distributor was sticking out the front of the block attached to the cam (equipped with the Opti-Spark distributor); then no you can not use it. The Opti-Spark would be on a Reverse Cooled engine out of a car from 1994. It uses different cooling passages that will not work with those older parts.

Reverse Cooled uses a different block and heads and intake as the water enters the heads first and exits out the block instead of the other way around for a standard SBC. Don't confuse reverse cooled with a reverse rotation water pump used with all single serpentine driven accessory belt front drives.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave! I have the rear distributor block so they should bolt up. Probably going to install a 3.75" crank, new rods and pistons. If we can get 400 horsepower out of it I will be happy. Don't want to much horsepower for his first car. Now we have to find another Impala!

thanks

Brian

1968 Impala SS Fastback 383 stroker

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 02:46 PM

Please note that '94 block will have a one piece rear main seal (needs a dedicated one piece rear main seal crank shaft), and the hydraulic rollers with factory retainers were used in that engine. You can reuse the factory retainers if you keep the cam lift to about 0.450" any higher and you will need to replace the factory lifters with tie bar, tall body lifters. This is because at 0.450" to 0.500" of lift the top of the lifter begins to fall out of the factory retainer. Use a reduced base circle cam and this issue is further aggravated.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page