1961 Impala fuel line help - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By 62BillT
  • 1 Post By Big Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

1961 Impala fuel line help

Hi, I have a 1961 bubble top and need to replace my damaged main fuel line and looking for some advice.
I have a 283, Edelbrock 4 BBL carb, manual 4 spd- just a cruiser

It looks like the standard line is a one piece 5/16- I was planning on getting it in stainless steel...
Is that what you all recommend? Can I route this without lifting the body off of the frame? I'm in the middle of replacing the floor pans, so that should help for some access...

Looking for any a advice on if this is the right line, installation and any preferred vendors...

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

I should add I have dual exhaust...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 05:37 PM

I would order a Pre-Bent Line from a Vendor.

They are supposed to be very close to originals and pretty accurately bent to factory specs.

You should be able to install it with no problems.

I just ordered some Brake Lines from Inline.

Not installed yet, but they look great.
shaark92 likes this.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 05:46 PM

Two Words: Stainless Steel.

Chevy Full Size Chevy Gas Tank To Fuel Pump Lines, 3/8" StainlessSteel Dual Exhaust, 283ci & 348ci, 1959-1961 - Eckler's Late Great Chevy

1959 Impala Parts | BGL5901S | 1959-62 Impala / Full Size Big Block 3 Piece 3/8 Stainless Steel Front To Rear Fuel Line Set | Classic Industries

You actually have a 5/16th inch fuel line as only high performance cars received a 3/8th inch fuel line, though you can replace the smaller line with the larger one for better fuel delivery:

1959 Impala Parts | BGL5902S | 1959-61 Impala / Full Size Small Block 1 Piece 5/16 Stainless Steel Front To Rear Fuel Line | Classic Industries

Current fuel (at least until Trump brings back leaded gas) is ten to fifteen percent alcohol. Alcohol dissolves the tin in the pot metal of your carburetor, causes the gas tank and the galvanized mild steel lines to rust and it causers a paper fuel filter to dissolve into little flakes that plug up the passage ways in your carb.

One other down side is the octane is six to ten points below what your car was designed to rub on. Other than that it is great. What few remember is that American Oil (a piece of the original Standard Oil that was broken up by the feds) offered unleaded gasoline at the same price as every one else sold leaded gas that had a octane rating that was comparable with every one else as well (96 octane regular blue pump, 100 mid grade octane from the red pump, and 104 octane white gas from the gold pump). Once everyone sold unleaded gas (required by the EPA) they forgot how to sell high octane unleaded gasoline and began selling the same swill as everyone else. Cars still required the higher octane fuel but they were making more money selling cheap to make gas.

Big Dave
shaark92 likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 06:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
outstanding, @Big Dave

given mine has sat so long, I'm going to replace the entire enchilada and with 3/8.

That stinking ethanol ... causes a LOT of problems. I have a friend who thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread ... and for racers with pressurized/sealed systems, I suppose it has a place ... not in the at large motorist market.

I've been running diesels almost exclusively ... but restoring Polly is putting me back into the gasser business ... and the gas available now is hardly that for which Polly was designed almost 60 years ago. We do have ethanol free about 20 miles away and I make it a point to use that in my small engines. I can probably do the same for Polly most of the time, but once that ethanol gets in there, it's there.

Stainless steel fuel lines. ROGER! excellent idea.

1961 Impala. 4 door. 283, turbo 350. Imron Midnight blue metallic with silver stripe.

Photo Album
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 11:17 AM

While you are at it, if it is not already on your list, I recommend replacing the fuel tank. Spectra (a Canadian company) makes/sells them and other vendors their tanks too. Galvanized (good enough for me) run about $160, stainless about 2x that. You do not want 'junk' from the tank fowling your fuel delivery system (over and over again).

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page