348 Numbers Matching or LS3 - Page 2 - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 10:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebohn View Post
With all of the details you have I would do this build with the 1961. The only hard part with Impala's other than 1964's is there is not much for custom parts. Sure 65 or 66 might have some but it's not like looking for a custom crossmember or rear end setup on a Camaro or Chevelle. If you have the skills to fab things up great, this would be my only reason for looking at a different car. I think the desire for pro touring cars will only increase with younger generations having the money to spend.
Seems like the LS swap with the 61 wouldn't be hard with these parts:

MuscleRods 58-64 Impala LS Conversion Kit

Big Dave likes this.

-
1964 Impala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 03:47 PM

1961 is an X-frame car as such it will require a dedicated X-frame kit (1958-'64) to accommodate the narrowing of the frame to the torque box in the center. It is going to require LS headers to fit the frame, the same motor mounts shown, and a unique cross-member to match your transmission choice.

Big Dave
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 07:43 PM

Call up Swartz Chassis and order one of their custom frame/big brake/ford 9" chassis kits. Base chassis is around $10K but you will have to add options for big brakes. I would bet you could spend around 16K for the chassis and it will handle like it's on rails.

Buy an LS 6.2L from Summit making 625HP for around 10K. Get the car painted with new interior. You will be able to drive that car on 2000 miles trips and ride in style/comfort. No more plugs fouling after 6000 miles, terrible gas mileage and old technology. Keep the 348 if you ever want to sell it to someone that cares about stock specs.

Go LS and never look back.

Brian

1968 Impala SS Fastback 383 stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page