1966 427 biscayne headers - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

1966 427 biscayne headers

Does anyone know if these headers fit these cars good?

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...1hkr/overview/

looking at ordering a set!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstang01 View Post
Does anyone know if these headers fit these cars good?

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...1hkr/overview/

looking at ordering a set!
According to Hooker's foot notes they drop in with no fitment issues. Since they where designed to fit a 1967-'69 Camaro and 1965-'72 Chevelle body you should have a lot of room to spare.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
According to Hooker's foot notes they drop in with no fitment issues. Since they where designed to fit a 1967-'69 Camaro and 1965-'72 Chevelle body you should have a lot of room to spare.

Big Dave

thank you!

other than having a set built, is there any other header that you would recommend?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:10 AM

I used Hooker Competition headers on my race cars because back when I was racing they were made equal length and bigger to allow a bigger motor to breathe better than other brands.

Today they are all alike (made by robots to almost but not quiet fit the car in question) with a Headman header not made to race but to fit in your car better than a Hooker did. I used Headman's in my shop because it made my job of installing them easier than a Hooker that often required denting tubes to get it to fit.

Today's header brands are not only all made alike, often it is the same set of tubes with a different label on the them because they are all owned by the same company. For example Holley owns and sells both Hooker and Dynomax brand.

Back in the days that I was racing Bob Headman had a muffler shop when he started making headers in 1954, Gary Hooker was a businessman who saw how headers sales where going and stated into business in 1962 designing headers for his employees to weld up, Doug Thorely had a muffler shop that sold unique design idea to make more power (torque) on the street that still works today; he started selling his Tri-Y headers back in 1958. All of these guys are long gone having sold out decades ago with only their name having anything to do with headers. Today their are still custom headers to be purchased made by hand the old way; but even they are not one of's but a copy of one designed by a welder who fit pipes to a car body similar to your car.

I buy a header kit and take it to my local muffler shop and have the kit welded up by the muffler shop's welder (it is made of stainless steel needing argon inside and outside of the pipe to be TIG welded by an experienced welder that can get into tight areas). I pay the same as a set of Lemmon's headers but they are going to fit my car like a glove and are complete from the head to underneath the bumper. You can save money by buying a mild steel kit but what you are mostly paying for is labor, so a stainless exhaust will never rust out.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page