spark plug wires - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
spark plug wires

I have a 67 Impala with a 350 with headers. The bend radius of the header to the head is very close. what would be my best choice in plug wires with 90^ boot over valve covers for heat resistance without breaking the bank? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 02:01 PM
BA.

Everyone has a favorite wire it seems but I want to just advocate for a proper spark-plug wiring loom. Lots of options there, I presume you can/will peek at Summit Racing or Jegs.

I had to use a protective sleeve on one of my headers for the same reason you mention, a header tube with just too much angle on it and the wire loom wasn't enough help.
Moroso and DEI make the sleeves in multiple colors:

https://www.jegs.com/images/photos/7.../710-71992.jpg

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have 1 spark plug that is closer than the rest, and if I put that sleeve on, the sleeve would be in contact with the header. I think I need very short 90^ boots or shorter spark plugs ( if they even make them). Right now I had to put Red RTV on the the one boot because the previous owner let touch and it melted thru. I also thought about bending in the wall of that header tube, just slightly.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:18 PM

Lawn mowers use a shorter plug than a car.

You can buy a lawn mower plug for more money than the lawn mower plug sells for at your big box hardware store, but the automotive plug has been rebranded and painted to say your favorite brand name (still made to lawn mower specifications).

A lawn mower engine sees the same cylinder pressures and temperatures as are found in your car engine because both burn gasoline that has a fairly consistent temperature of combustion.

Plugs are frequently rebranded by the way. AC-Delco hasn't made a plug of their own since 1963. Most are made by Autolite (statistical mode) because Ford can produce quality plugs and put them in GM's plant cheaper than can NGK or Denso. Champion is of course another Autolite plug with a different name on it. Which is why I love people arguing on-line about which plug is the best, most are made by the company that they say makes the worst plug.

Big Dave
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My car has newer heads that take the 5/8" hex with the tapered seat. I have never seen a lawnmower plug that didn't have the flat with the crush washer. If you know of any shorter plugs with the tapered seat let me know. Thanks, Wayne
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:26 PM

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, Big Dave. Which ones would be the best Accel 0276S-4 (non resistor) or 0576S-4 (resistor) ?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:09 AM

Resistor, especially with a solid core wire. Keeps engine ignition static down and voltage to the plug up.

Big Dave
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Very much Big Dave.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:53 PM
BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk2hons View Post
I have 1 spark plug that is closer than the rest, and if I put that sleeve on, the sleeve would be in contact with the header. I think I need very short 90^ boots or shorter spark plugs ( if they even make them). Right now I had to put Red RTV on the the one boot because the previous owner let touch and it melted thru. I also thought about bending in the wall of that header tube, just slightly.
Pretty sure the ceramic ones can touch

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Big Dave, I got the Accel 0576S-4 ( resistor) plugs. They are supposed to be plugs for HEI SBC. They came with a .030 gap. When I opened the gap to .060, the ground electrode is a little off center. Will this matter? Wayne
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:22 PM

No, not at all!

In the old days we used to file our ground straps flat across the top of the ectrode for "better" Ionization. Don't know if it ever helped but it didn't hurt.

Big Dave
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Big Dave, I just read about an other old trick was to round the sharp corners on the ground electrode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page