Intake Manifold/Temp sensor - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Intake Manifold/Temp sensor

I replaced my intake manifold with a 4 barrel. Looks like its a 1968 from the code but my question is where does the temperature sensor suppose to go on this one? Its not in the same place as my original 2 barrel intake was, right of the temp gauge.

I looked online but found a reference by another person saying it suppose to be on the head but they didnt go into detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intake number.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	22140  

Frame up restoration of 1967 Impala in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:53 PM

In 1968 Chevrolet started to transition to the long water pump (still short in 1968); but the heads had accessories holes in the end, and the water temp sensor moved from the manifold to the head.

If your heads don't have accessory holes in the end it won't have a place to insert the temperature sensor. As such you can not use that manifold without pulling your heads and having them machined, or machine the intake if it has a flat spot cast into the manifold to accept the sensor.

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
In 1968 Chevrolet started to transition to the long water pump (still short in 1968); but the heads had accessories holes in the end, and the water temp sensor moved from the manifold to the head.

If your heads don't have accessory holes in the end it won't have a place to insert the temperature sensor. As such you can not use that manifold without pulling your heads and having them machined, or machine the intake if it has a flat spot cast into the manifold to accept the sensor.

Big Dave

Crap. (and thats the censored version of what I really said....). Okay so I need to go back to the drawing board and find a 3890490 or 3905393 intake for me to keep the temp sensor where it should be.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:44 PM

Or buy an aftermarket one that has both. You will need an old used one that has the front oil fill tube hole, as well as the temp sensor and the water thermostat base opening all in the front. Good news old manifolds don't wear out (no moving parts). They due crack (easy to fix with a TIG welder) and/or tear out the threads in the carb base (another easy fix with a stainless steel Heli-Coil repair kit). The more damaged the intake the lower the price.

Once repaired, sand blasted and painted orange it can pass for a factory intake. Looked on line and since few if any Holley Carbs were used on the SBC (Corvette and the Z/28 being two exceptions), they are rare and expensive. 325 horse 327 Corvette manifold are going for $350 to $650. You can buy a new Edelbrock Holley intake with oil filler tube for about $260.

https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-...tube-2703.html

Grind off the Edelbrock logo and other casting marks with a disc grinder. Then hit the grinding marks with coal slag or crushed glass in a blasting cabinet before painting the whole manifold orange to match a stock manifold.

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Still wanting to keep this engine with original survivor parts as possible no Edelbrocks. Thanks Dave, I'll renew my hunt

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO_Impala67 View Post
Still wanting to keep this engine with original survivor parts as possible no Edelbrocks. Thanks Dave, I'll renew my hunt
flea-Bay has six Holley intake manifolds (Chevrolet's cast iron manifold, not the Winters aluminum version). They were used for three years on the Corvette only. They are not cheap but you can look.

Problem is after 1965 the four barrel used on the Chevy small block was the Rochester QuadraJet which won't accept a 4150 or 4160 series Holley square bore carburetor (or an Edelbrock branded AFB for that mater). Before 1965 Chevy used the Carter AFB for high horse applications (different bolt pattern than a Holley so they won't bolt up), or worse the Rochester 4GC four barrel made by Siamesing together two two barrels back to back in one casting. The 4GC requires a separate manifold that only accepts a 4GC carb. You can find these manifolds in scrap yards being used as ballast for a crane or a door stop.

So I wish you luck in trying to find a Holley manifold for the SBC.

Big Dave
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO_Impala67 View Post
I replaced my intake manifold with a 4 barrel. Looks like its a 1968 from the code but my question is where does the temperature sensor suppose to go on this one? Its not in the same place as my original 2 barrel intake was, right of the temp gauge.

I looked online but found a reference by another person saying it suppose to be on the head but they didnt go into detail.

You MAY have a temp sensor location on the 'top' of the water pump. There MAY be one in your cylinder head, look up near the number 1 spark plug. I am not familiar with the '67 configuration.

The engine a 283? That's what would have come with a 2 barrel in '67.

I am NOT be critical. Putting a 4 barrel on the 195hp 283 w/o changing the heads and exhaust won't do much (if anything) for performance. Putting a 4 barrel on a 283 WITH matching the heads and exhaust won't do much either. But there is a 'little' to be had there. IF it has a powerglide, futzing with carb on any sb is '****in in the wind'. The power glide is a 'grocery getter' transmission at its best.

Again, I am NOT criticizing, just opining.

Pete
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 01:52 PM

Another solution to your problem is a thermostat housing water outlet off of a 1975-'86 vehicle where you replace the thermostatic vacuum valve with a temperature sender.

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...ad=47584901292

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page