Impalas.net banner

Long Block Question

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Big Dave 
#1 ·
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway - better safe than sorry. Are there any special precautions I need to take when moving a long block 496 with aluminum heads around with a hoist? I will have to lift it by the heads (hoist chains attached to the intake flanges) to get it out of the truck (I don't have a forklift). Do I need to retorque the head bolts afterward? Protect the intake flanges on the heads?

Never had a BBC with aluminum heads before. Don't want to damage it either. Thanks for any replies.

#2 ·
Use the bolts on the front and back of the heads instead of the intake manifold face. Chain could divot the front face where you are trying to seal the intake resulting in a water leak or a vacuum leak. On the head a dimple will not interfere with anything later.

No need to retorque head bolts.

I use a steel plate bolted to the carburetor flange on the intake manifold to remove or install a motor. I would rent or buy a cheap (1,500 pounds) engine hoist to pull and install the motor if you don't already have one. I used to use a five ton hoist because it had an air over hydraulic pump to lift motors and was as stable as the rock of Gibraltar (but it got sold with the shop when I retired from engine building).

Big Dave

#3 ·
Normally I would hoist it using the intake bolts, but this is a long block and there is no intake installed. I need to get it out of the truck (rental) and into my garage, so I don't have time to install the intake and don't want to be rushed either. I'm guessing 3/8-16 for the head bolt bosses like pretty much everywhere else on a BBC?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.