Road draft tube - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Road draft tube

Ok so im converting to a pcv valve system. So i took the elbow out by the distributor and pit a freeze plug in. My next question is can i take out the canister under the intake? Leave the one bolt that holds it in out? Leave the hole open that the cansiter came out of or should i just leave the canister in place.?Im not gonna use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:12 AM

How are you going to keep the engine for puking oil as you drive?

That canister is an oil air separator. I prevents oil from being sucked into the engine from manifold vacuum with that canister used from 1963 through '68. In '69 the factory put two small ineffective (as seen inside the air cleaner by the presence of oil) in between the valve springs hanging from beneath the valve cover. If you use those valve covers you need a filtered air source to allow air into the motor to allow a vacuum to remove fumes.

If you leave the hole open you will get dirt into your engine as oil comes out, as air moves into and out of your motor with each piston stroke.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

So at the back of the plug i put a freeze plug in the hole near the distributor. So that should eliminate the canister under the intake. Then im using a 4 barrel intake manifold that doesnt use an oil fill tube. So i have new valve covers with one with a breather and the other one with a pcv valve to the vacuum side of the carb. If this is right i can elimante the canistwr right? The freeze plug is stopping dirt and oil from coming and going.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:01 PM

PCV sucks air out of the engine.

You have to have a fresh (dirt free) supply of air to replace what is sucked out, or the ventilation system stops working. PCV stands for positive (no draft tube) Crankcase Ventilation. It is designed to remove oil fumes and combustion gasses that get by the rings that contaminate the oil from the crankcase. It depends upon separating oil from air and a steady supply of filtered air to do this.

1968 was the last year the vent to the engine was cast into the block. That is why there are so few new four barrel intakes with an oil fill tube. Edelbrock still makes them:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350...4aAvv-EALw_wcB

allowing you to have a four barrel and your functional PCV system.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page