Newbie 1st LS swap sorry in advance just need 1 qu - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Newbie 1st LS swap sorry in advance just need 1 qu

64 Impala SS putting a 02 corvette LS1 with a 4l60E behind it. I’ve got all fuel system , computer and harness all ready. My question is a simple one. It’s about accessories. I was told to put an F body balancer/crank on then use F body accessories, well just met a guy and he used all the vette accessories on his LS1 but just put on an F body crank pulley. So my question is for my application can I use all the original brackets and such but just change crank pulley to F body? Sorry if I’m wasting anyone’s time but I’d rather look stupid than broke 😎 thanks for the time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:59 AM

Welcome to the Team!

I have never tried this so I can not say if it will work or not. I have found the Cadillac LD brackets worked best for me, The Camaro would be my second choice. Corvette also works except for maintenance as everything is buried under the engine and has to reached from the bottom on a lift. Worst is the truck brackets which has everything to high.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:56 AM
BA.

I haven't done an Impala LS swap - but I do have a 1st Gen Camaro with an LS going in it so I've tried to pay attention to other forums posts on the matter.

You didnt mention if you will have AC/ but it's usually that AC unit that gets to be problematic on things fitting as in many of these kits it is mounted so low on the passenger side that it hits the cross-member of our old musclecars.

If you're not using AC, or already have a higher mount for it planned, then I think either F-body or Corvette will work for you. I was recalling that the different was mostly that the Vette one was designed for a lower hood clearance, so positioning is different, but not crucial on old musclecars. (except for LS7 Vette which I believe is unique, with unique Dampner and everything is slightly closer to the front of the engine.)

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokiliptik1 View Post
64 Impala SS putting a 02 corvette LS1 with a 4l60E behind it. I’ve got all fuel system , computer and harness all ready. My question is a simple one. It’s about accessories. I was told to put an F body balancer/crank on then use F body accessories, well just met a guy and he used all the vette accessories on his LS1 but just put on an F body crank pulley. So my question is for my application can I use all the original brackets and such but just change crank pulley to F body? Sorry if I’m wasting anyone’s time but I’d rather look stupid than broke 😎 thanks for the time!
I have swapped both my 68 and 63 impalas. I used truck accessories on both, but there were a few modifications made to use the better looking car intakes. It's really your choice on which accessories setup you use. There's room for any one you choose.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for feedback! Right now no a/c but will in future. I was told by several people to run an F body harmonic balancer for LS1 so I got a new oem and put it on. I just want to make sure the power steering and alternator I can get all brackets needed and setup properly with not just throwing money at it. So basically what I got is a 02 corvette LS1 with new Holley oil pan for my application and an F body 02 camaro/firebird harmonic balancer. Was told I can still use original water which is great cause it’s new lol. So basically from what I’m hearing is I can go stock vette or camaro/firebird or even the truck accessory brackets? Thanks for helping a newb! Trying to build a nice car without throwing money away cause every Lincoln counts 😎
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page