extra holes in Big block intake - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

extra holes in Big block intake

I have a 427x aluminum edelbrock intake on a 454 block that I did not build, not sure what heads are on it. It runs good but appears to have 4 extra bolt holes that aren't used in the intake, 2 on each head. I've read online that the extra bolt holes were used on some heads and not on others, etc.

I'm just curious why they are there on some manifolds/heads. There must be a reason that I'm not aware of.

Also will it cause any problems later if they are mis-matched as mine appear to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:07 PM

Not aware of this issue. Need to see a photo.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:44 AM
Team Member

I think he is talking about the attached pic. I had the same issue on my 496 with Dart heads. Four extra, unused spots in the intake bolt pattern and no matching threaded holes in the heads. Was not an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190519_121335_1566301369224.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	22648  

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Yep, that's exactly it. I have read that it might be rectangle/oval mismatch. But I don't know if that's correct. I've also seen pictures that indicate if you have a slightly different gasket, there is a leak path from the intake to atmosphere that can cause a vac leak. In some cases people would remove the manifold and plug the holes from the bottom with epoxy and sand them smooth to seal on the gasket.

below is mine. You can see the 2 extra holes on the right side.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:14 PM
Team Member

Not anything to do with head to intake mismatch I don't think. My Edelbrock Airgap intake was for rectangular port heads, which matched the heads perfectly and I still have the extra holes. Just speculating, but I think it might have to do with a head / intake engine generation mismatch.

Had I dropped that intake onto the cast iron Gen IV 396 heads I had previously, there would have been threaded holes to match. That intake onto more modern aluminum heads with raised exhaust ports? Extra holes. Probably better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

That makes sense. I'm not sure what heads I have on my engine. I need to find out. The block itself is just an old 4 bolt main 454 truck block around the late 70's I think. The heads might be a different vintage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page