Chevy 4.2 atlas turbo swap ? - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Chevy 4.2 atlas turbo swap ?

Hey everyone. Im thinking about trying something different. I want to try putting in the chevy 4.2. Ive been finding articles on them and they are dirt cheap motors with a lot of goodies. Pros VVT, fuel injection, coil on plug, aluminum head and block, not an LS, 290 hp 275 tq stock, 4 valves per cylinder, dual over head cam. Cons engine mounts, oil pan reconfigure, stand alone computer controller, trans adapter, need to put a fuel setup for fuel injecton. Thoughts or comments thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 07:47 AM

What year Impala?

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 08:09 AM

Sounds like you will be investing a lot of money and will probably not get any kind of return on it and be disappointed in the results. I think in the long run it would be cheaper to just put a SBC 383 stroker in and add a TBI injection set up. You will have more horse power and torque and a lot less hassle. Also you won't be saving a lot in gas as you will find the transmission doing a lot more shifting to maintain speed. Then we get into the issue of the transmission. These 4.2 liters are meant to be backed by 4+ speed transmissions due to the requirement of more shifting to get the acceleration and ability to maintain speed on hills and such. A power glide definitely will not cut it and a manual 4 speed will keep your arm and leg busy if your travelling any kinds of hills. Might have worked in the old days when highways were 55 MPH, but now at 65 MPH you will be the guy in the slow lane getting passed by semi's going up a long hill.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

It would be going in a 1964. Ive read some articles about using a 4l60e or turbo 400. 383 are fun but have been done plenty times over. I love inline motors and especially a 6 that has less cubic inches then my 283 and performs miles beyond it. But the best is everyone scratching there head tring to figure it out. Lol
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

4.2 in a 62 stude
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1962-Studebaker-Lark-with-a-turbo-Vortec-4200-inline-six-02-768x576_1574349436393.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	22836   Click image for larger version

Name:	1962-Studebaker-Lark-with-a-turbo-Vortec-4200-inline-six-03_1574349444851.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	22838  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 12:08 PM

I agree it will be different and the six will closely match the torque of a 283 SBC without the turbo charging. With a turbo it can easily match a 383 TBI SBC normally aspirated in horsepower if you turn the pressure up. Factory ECU isn't tuneable so you will need to talk to aftermarket to find a dedicated controller for the boost and timing control and shift points on your tranny.

I don't know of any aftermarket cams, and Harvey is dead (I used to have him grind cams for me, which is to say I paid for some of his BBC cam grinding research). To find some one with a old school cam grinding machine and time on their hands to experiment with may be difficult in today's computer controlled cam grinders. (with Harvey Crane's machine all I needed was a sheet of plywood, a saber saw, a degree wheel, and a pencil to make a pattern to grind a cam lobe profile).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page