Hardware Nuts and bolts.... - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Hardware Nuts and bolts....

When any have you put together an engine.. external stuff... Water pump, alternator, fuel pump, carb , etc.

Where do you get your hardware to mount them?

I don't have the original engine to pull the bolts from so please don't say I just use the originals or a bucket of old bolts to pull from all my old bolts are metric from my BMWs.

Do you spend the $$ on ARP stuff or go to the local auto parts store or hardware store like Nape / ACE and get a grade 8 or grade 5 bolts?

Or is there a special online retailer that sells quality nuts and bolts at a decent price.

Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 01:47 PM

There are people that scourer the fastener houses for reproduction fastener kits but they are not cheap. I buy ARP complete engine kits that have every nut and bolt that is used on a SBC or a BBC engine in stainless steel or chromemoly aloy steel with hex or twelve point heads. Neither of these two options are as cheap as a visit to your local recycling salvage yard.

Talk to the owner and tell him what it is you need. They have a concrete pad out back where cars are blown apart and cleaned before being stored on racks for sale. They have a bin where fasteners and mounting brackets wiring and non-ferous metal is thrown into to be recycled as scrap metal ($7-$12 a hundred pounds so you know how valuable they are to the owner). You can ask to go dumpster diving or to prepay to have the next SBC saved for you to sort through what you need (but if it involves slowing down his operation or time spent sorting by his employees the price rises sharply).

You will need a few magnets on a string and on a stalk to retrieve what want or to pull off other junk hiding your treasure, and a couple of baggies and a another heavy duty sack to carry what you find up to the parts counter for evaluation and pricing (don't forget a small tube of Gogo hand cleaner and paper towels). I knew three of the local yards owners from my high school and rest of them through doing business with my shop so it was nothing for me to show up and haul off a field bucket (for picking oranges) full of brackets and fasteners and pay $25 bucks for the honor of getting greasy. Of course this was thirty or so years ago and safety regulations and EPA regulations have made life more restrictive.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 02:15 PM

Garage
If you wanna spend the money ARP has the best kit.
There are also kits on eBay and parts stores that are complete for a lot less than ARP kit.
If you know exactly what size bolts you need, boltdepot.com has decent pricing and fast shipping.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the info.

Ted
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 10:27 AM

Garage
Also, don't over look the body fasteners. They will make your life a whole lot easier.

These guys have a lot of factory correct hardware and don't rob you on pricing:
https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/default.asp

1969 Impala convertible build thread here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=impala
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 08:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Summit has a house brand kit that is nice. I've used it a few times and it is fairly complete for the price. They have BBC and SBC.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...make/chevrolet

'67 Hell Camino-BB 427/TH400/4.10 His
'67 Biscayne-BB 427/TH400/??? Hers
'66 Chevelle 300 Deluxe- 230/PG

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-Orsen Wells

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people. And they are more useful in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page