Headers that will fit 66 BB with Power steering - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Headers that will fit 66 BB with Power steering

Looking for headers that will fit my 66 with a 496BB with power steering any help would be awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 09:45 AM

What heads are on your 496? Do they have raised exhaust ports?

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 10:08 AM

Lemon's

Big Dave

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 11:10 AM

I hear the Patriot ones fit.

Patriot Full-Length Headers H8062-B

my hookers needed some tweaking..

Ted

Last edited by brickwhite; 03-06-2020 at 11:46 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 01:33 PM

You need to read the footnotes towards the back of the paper catalog (I kept some mid seventies, that is to say just Hooker and Headman catalogs), as they will tell you the exclusions. On line the adds hype the big print giveth by saying: "It will fit!", but the small print; which is the foot notes in the back of the catalog, "taketh away" (NO it won't fit if you have any of these accessories or heads/car combinations!)

I gave up on the over the counter header companies as they have one model that fits every Chevy Car body made with-in the same series (example '67-'69 Camaro, which excludes 1970-'81, 1982-'92, 1993-'02, 2010-'15, and 2016 and up). That one statement excludes a lot of cars.

Second issue is no one you see in car mags makes even a SBC header for a full size. That header is designed to fit a Camaro, Nova, Chevelle, Monte Carlo and the full size. It is a universal header You compare he part number with the cars they claim it will fit), but that means it universally doesn't fit any of these car bodies with out beating the tubes.

I gave up on buying an off the shelf header and instead buy a header kit.

Mild Steel kit
https://www.jegs.com/i/Patriot-Exhau...H8091/10002/-1

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Big-B...ector,349.html

https://www.jegs.com/i/Dynatech/329/760-91410/10002/-1

https://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker-Headers/520/2953/10002/-1

There are a couple of comapnies that offer header kits in stainless so it will last the life of the car body. I used this company to build a set of stainless steel headers that fit my car and engine combination:

https://www.stainlessheaders.com/pro...der_Build_Kit/

Now I can weld structural steel, but I could never be a surgeon (which disappointed my father who started med school at Eaton, but WWII got in the way). For thin metal that has to be welded with inert gas inside and out I went to a muffler shop that does this every day. It cost me $1,300 to get a custom made header and dual exhaust out to the back bumper. Compare this with a Lemons header that is also custom made to fit your car, but doesn't include tail pipes or mufflers. If he doesn't have a previous build of your car body and motor (he probably does as it is a fairly common build), be prepared to ship your car to California and back to get him to build a set of tubes for you.

Or you can go to any muffler shop and talk to the owner/manager to build your custom made headers for you.

Big Dave
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes they have .375 raise ports
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 10:09 AM

No off the shelf header will fit. As off the shelf headers are designed to fit a motor installed in the stock location (only an issue with a first gen Camaro, or 1968-'74 Nova), that have heads with sock port locations and shape (square not round).

All of the off the shelf header companies were started by men who owned a muffler shop and saw the need for tubular headers to fit the needs of hot rodders.

Jere Stahl learned header design by reading an engineering text book on exhaust theory, but he still owned a muffler shop, and wanted to improve on other four tube headers offered by his competitors.

Doug Thorley first invented the Tri-Y header in 1958; based upon an idea he had in matching cylinders to extract more gas. He owned a muffler shop and made headers for local racers were he earned a reputation as an innovator.

Bob Hedman Hedders, began as a one man shop in 1954. He sold his headers on the dry lakes to racers looking to make maximum horsepower. He owned a muffler shop he ran during the week and raced on weekends looking to go as fast as he could.

Gary Ronald Hooker's secret was to make his home made headers longer (produces more torque) and the tubing larger (produces more horsepower) than what was already available. He didn't own a muffler shop but was a drag racer and an athlete (runner). He was also one of the few who had a college degree studying design and electronics. His partner Elwin Westbrook was a welder who had the fabricating experience who made cages for race cars on the side in a rented shop he shared in 1964 with Hooker. Together they sold Hooker brand headers; more than any one else selling headers, as they weren't welding up exhaust systems during the week in a muffler shop, but only made headers.

All of these header makers sold their business and their names to large corporations who make most of their headers in Mexico (still labeled made in USA under NAFTA), but the Mexicans merely feed welding robots tubes an automatic tube bender bends to a fixed program. Then they place the welded product in a box and ship it.

Big Dave
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubs66 View Post
Yes they have .375 raise ports
Try Sanderson block huggers. I got them to clear the steering box on my '68. I have a 496 with raised exhaust port heads as well. The driver side will have to go in from the bottom. Remove the oil filter to help with clearance.

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks i was looking at the Sandersons BB 10 ill have a look at the block huggers do you remember the part number of your block huggers.

Last edited by Bubs66; 03-11-2020 at 08:32 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 08:45 PM

I have a set on my 66 Impala SS I would sell!

I have a set on my 66 Impala SS 396 Auto with P.S.. I have never cared for headers as the're hot, and continually loosen and I'm not a performance car guy - just a cruiser. Also I'm not 100% sure they would fit your application. The car came with them and I have purchased exhaust manifolds to replace them.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0203.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	23270  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubs66 View Post
Thanks i was looking at the Sandersons BB 10 ill have a look at the block huggers do you remember the part number of your block huggers.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...6/model/impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC1218 View Post
I have a set on my 66 Impala SS 396 Auto with P.S.. I have never cared for headers as the're hot, and continually loosen and I'm not a performance car guy - just a cruiser. Also I'm not 100% sure they would fit your application. The car came with them and I have purchased exhaust manifolds to replace them.

Rick
Stock manifolds will strangle a 496.

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks 68wasagoodyear those are the ones i was looking at. Ill let ya know how they fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page