LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

More HP

I have a 283 motor what can I do to increase the HP without changing the engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 09:50 PM

Welcome to the Team!

Spin it up to 10,000 RPM. The higher you rev any engine the more power strokes per minute. More power strokes is equal to more power. If you had a 283 spinning at 4,500 and you reved it to 9,000 then it should equal a 566 cube BBC running at 4,500 RPM (It won't but in theory all things being equal it would).

You can add more oxygen that will support more fuel being burnt with Nitrous Oxide. Rule of thumb is half of your existing horsepower is considered the maximum you can safely add. So a 75 horse shot will probably be about it for your 190 horse 283.

Another way of adding air is with a blower or turbo charger (the only difference between the two is in how the blower is actually powered: with the turbo using the heat of the exhaust gasses to power the compressor without taking any energy from the engine; and a super charger drawing its power from the crank shaft by way of a belt). Once again you are limited by the 283. With any SBC can not bolt an any Roots blower bigger than a 8-71 as it won't fit, and your crank won't support a huge boost from either a roots or a a centripetal blower either. With all blowers you have to remove the heat of compression from the intake charge before putting it into the engine or risk detonation just from the added heat. Also stuffing in additional air raises your static compression that wlll further require a matching rise in the octane rating of the fuel you burn.

The cheapest solution to your problem is a bigger small block Chevy, either a 350, a 383 or a 406. Bigger is better, and any of them look just fine under your 283 air cleaner (the early engines didn't hae the displacement on the air cleaner it was on their solid valve covers). In fact 90% of the population can't tell a 406 from a 383; and a 383 looks just like a 283/327/350 small block engine. You can disguise a modern aluminum headed engine to look like an earlier oil fill tube engine with the choice of the correct parts to make power while looking stone stock.

Back when the NHRA took away everyone's Nitromethane, racers who where wanting more power where forced to double their blown alcohol motors to obtain the previous power obtained with one motor on Nitromethane. So you began to see twin SBC dragsters like the Freight Train racing every week were he formally ran only one engine on nitromethane.

Of course you can add nitro to your gas tank:

https://www.racingjunk.com/Other/183...ns-Torco-.html

But it will probably cost you more than the $58 a gallon price as your engine will not be happy burning rocket fuel. any tried back in the day and discovered that the engine made power right up until it exploded like one of those old rocket trials of Wernher von Braun's.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 03-29-2020 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Obviously I needed a nap, edited it after reading what I wrote
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 11:30 PM
BA.

You would do the same things that someone might to do a 305/307/327/350 etc. The first 2 significant/easy things are to use a 4 barrel carb/intake if it isnt' already, the other would be a good dual exhaust and 1 1/2" primary headers if you could find any. (most are 1 5/8" and larger but the 283 is a bit small for that) Maybe just a set of stock "rams horn" style exhaust manifolds would be just as good for a 283.

Then, like Dave said, to get a 283 to put out any decent noticeable power in a big Impala it will need to spin higher RPM's, that's a bit of a money pit though with purchase of a camshaft, springs, rocker arms, etc. Then good heads to flow well enough to match the good cam.
It's all uphill with a 283 in a heavy car.

You'd get more around town boogie and stoplight seat of the pants by getting a higher stall torque converter of you're an automatic trans, and then a better gear ratio in the rear end. (still takes a pro shop for the latter though)

Good luck!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 07:12 AM

Without pulling the engine out of the car completely the main things that are going to get you anywhere are creating a better path for air to flow more freely. I personally would build a package to include:

1. Swap over to a new roller cam shaft. Mechanical if you want to rev the engine high into the RPM band.
2. New Aluminum heads with springs to match your new cam. If you have a good knowledgeable shop I would get them ported, most off the shelf heads have more room for porting and polishing.
3. New intake, dual plane for street low RPM use or single plane for racing high RPM use. Have it port matched to your heads.
4. New carburetor, I would say a 600 cfm would be sufficient for a 283 as it is well over the 2 X Cubic inches standard.

Any one of the above pieces by itself won't seem like a big gain, but when you get everything above matched up in one package you will see some power gains. Will it make a 500 HP tire shredder? No! I could see it getting you in the 300's with HP and give you some more torque.

Now as a cautionary note: If your little 283 already has high mileage or you overhauled your engine using a JCWitney special Chinese overhaul kit, you could start stressing already worn out parts or parts that are week to begin with resulting in failure.

Secondary note: It would be cheaper in the long run to buy an entry level 383 and drop it in the car.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 09:30 AM

Garage
I went through this journey. My 64 came with a 283 and I was wanting more power. I went to a 327 and promptly broke the crank somehow. Decided I wanted more power anyways and had a 350 based 383 built for it. But it was ugly with the 350 block needing the holes in the valve covers for PCV. So a few decades later when I was restoring my 64, I decided to do it right and got a year correct 327 block, had it bored and stroked to 383 (main bearing journals had to be line bored to fit the larger journal 383 crank). Roller hydralic lifters and a mild cam got me 370 HP and 420 torque. I also swapped the transmission to a 700r4 and 3.77 differential gearing. Lower first gear gets the car moving and overdrive keeps it around 2,300 rpm on the freeway.

Looking back, I think the best first step would be the transmission swap. It should help a lot, with the lower first gear giving you better acceleration. And the overdrive keeping the highway RPMs under control. You should look at what differential gearing you currently have. Since these cars tend to go through a lot of repairs and changes over the years, it could be that your current ratio is not ideal for a 283.

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 10:16 PM
BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwolf View Post
Without pulling the engine out of the car completely the main things that are going to get you anywhere are creating a better path for air to flow more freely. I personally would build a package to include:

1. Swap over to a new roller cam shaft. Mechanical if you want to rev the engine high into the RPM band.
2. New Aluminum heads with springs to match your new cam. If you have a good knowledgeable shop I would get them ported, most off the shelf heads have more room for porting and polishing.
3. New intake, dual plane for street low RPM use or single plane for racing high RPM use. Have it port matched to your heads.
4. New carburetor, I would say a 600 cfm would be sufficient for a 283 as it is well over the 2 X Cubic inches standard.

Any one of the above pieces by itself won't seem like a big gain, but when you get everything above matched up in one package you will see some power gains. Will it make a 500 HP tire shredder? No! I could see it getting you in the 300's with HP and give you some more torque.

Now as a cautionary note: If your little 283 already has high mileage or you overhauled your engine using a JCWitney special Chinese overhaul kit, you could start stressing already worn out parts or parts that are week to begin with resulting in failure.

Secondary note: It would be cheaper in the long run to buy an entry level 383 and drop it in the car.

I wanted to razz you so bad about the cash flow on all of those excellent upgrades you noted, maybe throw in a GIF of a rapper making it rain.... Then I saw your secondary note, and it made me chuckle. If money wasn't an object I agree again! lol

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page