Help me ID these engine frame brackets - 69 Impala - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Garage
Help me ID these engine frame brackets - 69 Impala

These are from my 69 Impala. According to the VIN it was originally a big block car but came to me with a small block in it. I just recently figured out I had the wrong motor mounts but I still can't determine exactly what the brackets I have are intended for. I started cleaning them up for painting hoping to find a GM part number but no luck. These measure 2-3/8" wide. Anyone recognize the application for these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mount2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	23444   Click image for larger version

Name:	mount1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	23446   Click image for larger version

Name:	mount3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	23448   Click image for larger version

Name:	mount5.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	23450   Click image for larger version

Name:	mount6.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	23452  

1969 Impala convertible build thread here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=impala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 12:56 PM
BA.

Sorry man, I got nuttin for ya.

I did something similar as you though. I have 4 total sets that I put in a line next to each other on the bench and took pictures and measured them to see their differences. I was trying to lower an LS swap in a different car.

I don't recall ever coming across any kind of reference table for height but I seem to vaguely recall something about one set having the passenger side slightly taller. (can't recall why) I thought I recalled some being slightly narrower than others too, just by like 1/8" or 3/16" or something very slight.

Good luck though - lot of experienced guys on here - maybe one will have the details.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 01:23 PM

Difference in height applied to the Camaro and Nova cars with a BBC. It was done that way to get the huge truck engine to fit in a compact car. It moved the engine up and over an inch to clear the steering gear box with a cast iron manifold. Those two were the only GM cars to have an engine offset. All other V8 engines are centered in the engine bay (including all of the subsequent Camaro generations).

Only difference in frame stands for all Chevy models of cars was the tall and narrow vs short and wide issue with the engine vibration isolators separating on 1958-'68 Chevy V8's, AND the difference between a BBC and the SBC.

Any engine factory rated at over 300 horse power (includes all BBC engines and a few SBC engines) received an interlocking engine isolator that engine's torque couldn't pull apart. Because the interlocking engine vibration isolator was thicker than the standard rubber only version the frame stands were shorter . This didn't preclude the difference in height due to the short and wide vs tall and narrow design issue. So all except the first generation Camaro and third gen Nova cars have four frame stands that differ in part number and dimensions (tho Camaro and Nova have six different frame stands).

Every genuine GM part has a part number associated with it (either on the enclosing parts box that it had sitting on the shelf, or a piece of colored adhesive paper tape wrapped around it, or even a card stock paper tag attached with a string). Frame stands have the part number stamped on them so it is still there if it is an original part (not so for reproductions made or Camaros and Novas). You can look up the part number to get the description (application).

Big Dave

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 12:34 PM

In Full Size Chevys, they made Talls and Shorts. The mounts in the pictures above, look like the Short ones, which are more rare. Seems like the Talls and Shorts were more '67 -'70, but that is just in my experiences. Strangely, I have had 2 '69's, side by side, both original Small Blocks and one had the Talls and the other Shorts.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 12:51 PM

The change occurred during the 1969 production run. Prior to that in 1968 the had the first ever safety recall of any kind with all Chevy V8's that went back getting a five ton cable attached to the upper A-arm and bolted to the cast iron exhaust manifold (if you had headers in 1968 you were SOL). In 1973 GM came up with the ultimate fix: a clam shell design that encapsulated the rubber isolator in a steel shell bolted to the frame and used a solid steel mount bolted to the block.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page