Air Cleaner base adapter - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Air Cleaner base adapter

I have a 64 impala SS with a 250 HP 327. It is completely stock. I'm considering replacing the stock quadrajet with a higher performance Holley carburetor. I want to keep the stock air cleaner but the lower opening where it attaches to the carburetor is an inch larger in diameter. I'm looking for either some type of adapter or a larger base that I can still us the stock air cleaner cover. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranlinsch64SS View Post
I have a 64 impala SS with a 250 HP 327. It is completely stock. I'm considering replacing the stock quadrajet with a higher performance Holley carburetor. I want to keep the stock air cleaner but the lower opening where it attaches to the carburetor is an inch larger in diameter. I'm looking for either some type of adapter or a larger base that I can still us the stock air cleaner cover. Any suggestions?
I'm not a historian of Chevy parts, but the 64 327 did not come stock with a quadrajet carb. The quadrajet was not until '67?, or so.

There were two different carbs for the 327. One for the 250 hp and an aluminum one for the 300 hp. But there were other engine differences too (exhaust manifolds was larger for the 300 hp, for example).

A little reading of this:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...-Chevrolet.pdf

May help you ID all the engine differences.

Simply dumping more fuel into the engine won't make it go faster.

A suggestion (because you asked):

Replace the 2" ram horn exhaust manifolds and pipes to the mufflers with the 2 1/2" ones and see what you get (performance wise). You may be content. You need to do that anyway (and perhaps other mods) if you are intent on a 'bigger' carb.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 04:50 PM

Sounds like he has a Rochester 4G carb which is two two barrel 2G carbs fused into one body. Not the most popular carb and it has it's own air cleaner and intake manifold (a collection of straight lines and right angles that doesn't flow but was easy to make saving GM money).

Usually the only place you see a Rochester 4G and matching intake is on the end of a rope in a bass fishing boat or holding open the door at the junk yard.

Rochester QuaraJet and a Holley carb (and the carter AFB AVS series of four barrels all have the same size air cleaner base (5.125" Dia. Neck.).

Big Dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 09:09 PM

Garage
I have the same car and engine as you and I got so tired of trying to get the Rochester 4GC to work consistently. I am also trying to keep my car as stock looking as possible. Here is what I did: I put on an Edelbrock 1406 carb with a Holley/Edelbrock to Rochester 4G 4-Jet Carburetor Adapter Plate, part #1351935 from Speedway Motors. I then got an Edelbrock 1221 14" air cleaner and cut, then flattened the base of that air cleaner. I mated that altered base with my stock air filter housing top piece and everything still looks stock until you look under the air filter housing. I attached a pick to show how I modified the base.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1600.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	23624  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
adapter, air cleaner, base, carburetor, holley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page