1967 396 ignition problem - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

1967 396 ignition problem

I had taken my Impala for a ride last night for 45 min. I stopped for a beer at my friends house for about 45 min. When I left I started the car and it died after 5 seconds , I started it again and it cut out again after a couple seconds, but then the third time I tried there was nothing at the key, it did not turn over at all. I got a tow home, So this afternoon I got in and it started right up? It has electronic ignition but is otherwise all stock . Anyone have any Idea what happened? Im thinking its the ignition switch, I just dont want this to happen !00 miles from home. Did this happen to any of you guys? Any help is appreciated Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 09:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

What kind of electronic ignition? I used to burn out ignition switches in my 65 Elky and never really figured out why. It would have power in the run position but cut voltage in the start position.

On a coil you can run a jumper from the battery to bypass the ignition and test the switch. You may have the ability to try this.

'67 Hell Camino-BB 427/TH400/4.10 His
'67 Biscayne-BB 427/TH400/??? Hers
'66 Chevelle 300 Deluxe- 230/PG

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-Orsen Wells

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people. And they are more useful in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page