Fuel pump - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Fuel pump

Team,
I've neen doing some work on my
1964 Impala. I'm running a 327. While working on it I noticed that the fuel pump was actually leaking fuel and I could see that it was comi g from the upper portion of it. It almost looks like it has a place for it to breath. My question is should there be any fuel leaking from the fuel pump or do I have a defective pump?

Number2: i went ahead and put some JB weld on the part that I saw was bubbling fuel. It stopped the leak. Did I close off the breather source?

Semper Fi,

Hector

1964 Impala SS HT
2007 Tahoe LTZ
2006 Kawasaki ZX10
2003 Yamaha R1 (sold)
1995 Impala SS
1993 Tahoe GT (sold)
1978 Buick Regal (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:00 PM

I think what you are saying is that little hole is a way for the pump diaphram not to create a vaccume and colapse. If you have ANYTHING comming out of this the pump is bad and will need to be replaced. Also IF this is the case check your oil to see if you smell gas, if the diaphram is punctured the gas and oil will mix.
This was my persomel experience when I allways check the oil before I run it I smelled gas, I replaced the pump, drained the oil which I found out that I almost 2 gals. of oil. 5 qts. of oil and 2 qts. of gas that leaked into the crankcase!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Its strange because for the longest time I smelled gas and I finally exami ed the fuel pump and noticed that it was wet with fuel around the outside ring. As you look down at top of the pump. I dried it off with a rag and a few minutes later I noticed tjere was fuel again. Another thing I noticed was the fuel filter not having anymore air bubbles. It's a glass filter and I have noticed that ever since I "JB"welded the hole the filter stays full. Before I did that I noticed that the fuel would drain back down after the car sat for a few minutes.

Semper Fi,

Hector

1964 Impala SS HT
2007 Tahoe LTZ
2006 Kawasaki ZX10
2003 Yamaha R1 (sold)
1995 Impala SS
1993 Tahoe GT (sold)
1978 Buick Regal (sold)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:24 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but that hole sits above that ring? Now that it's not leaking out...it's probably leaking in. .
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Before I slung JB weld on it I could see where the air bubbles were comimg out as well as fuel. It reminded me of what it would
look like if someone were to take an innertube and submerge it in water to see where the source of an air leak would be coming from.

Semper Fi,

Hector

1964 Impala SS HT
2007 Tahoe LTZ
2006 Kawasaki ZX10
2003 Yamaha R1 (sold)
1995 Impala SS
1993 Tahoe GT (sold)
1978 Buick Regal (sold)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 04:43 PM

That is indeed a vent hole. Any gas there and you have a defective fuel pump. This is not surprising since gasoline now contains alcohol which eats at rubber parts made before 1980 when President Carter wrote his executive order requiring alcohol to be in our gas supply to limitour dependance on imported oil. You need an aftermarket fuel pump our an origianl looking part that is gasohol compliant inside the pump.

Big Dave
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:45 PM

Fuel pump recommendation

What fuel pump is recommended for a 64 impala SS with a 327?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 05:36 PM

I would use a Holley mechanical pump. It is designed to work with gasohol. If you want an original pump A-C/Delco still makes an OEM replacement (unfortunately just not in America).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page